- Best Ideas for Outdoor Patio Space
- New Samsung AddWash 27inch Front Load Washer
- Washer and Dryer Combo Appliances
- Alternative Design by ACME Furniture
- Grilling - Cast Iron Grates Versus Stainless Steel Grates
- The 7 Questions you MUST Ask When Purchasing a Dishwasher
- Best Wall Ovens - April 2016
- All About The Wall Oven
- What is the Difference Between Gas vs Electric vs Induction Cooktop/Ranges?
- Agitator or No Agitator
- Chest Freezer vs Upright Freezer
- The Best Dishwashers of April 2016
- Why You Need a Convection Oven
- Dishwashers vs. Hand Washing
- Is Your Air Conditioner Too Noisy?
- Appliances and Voltage
- Top Load Washer vs Front Load Washer
- Scavolini Designs in Our Showroom
- Built-In Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Picks
- Open vs. Sealed Burners
- Certification Marks
- Top Ten Storage Options For Wine Lovers
- Top 5 Appliance Features for a Busy Lifestyle
- Gas vs Dual Fuel Ranges
- Top 5 Cool Refrigerator Features You Should Know About
- Dishwasher Features and Their Importance
- Freestanding vs. Slide-in Ranges
- Brass vs. Aluminum Burners
- Viking - The Heart of the Kitchen
- Dorm Appliance Suggestions
- Remodeling a U-Shaped Kitchen
- Smart Appliances with App Connectivity
- Top 5 Wall Ovens of 2017
- Top Five Double Wall Ovens of 2017
- Top 5 Dishwashers of 2017
- Top Five Column Refrigerators for 2017
- Everything You Need to Know About Energy-Efficient Appliances
- Top 10 French Door Refrigerators of 2017
- The Best Microwave Drawers of 2017
- Top Five 48-Inch Range Ovens of 2017
- All About the Bosch 24-Inch Compact Laundry Pair
- Top 5 Wall Oven Microwave Combos of 2017
- Top Five 30 Inch Slide-In Ranges in 2017
- Which Range Should You Buy? Professional vs. Standard Ranges
- The Best Front Load Washers of 2017
- The Best HE Top Load Washers of 2017
- Furniture Care Series - Leather Furniture
- The Power of Steam - For Cooking, Cleaning, Laundry and Relaxation
- Internal Venting Vs. External Venting
- Washer Guide - Stackable Vs. Side-By-Side
- Top Ten 36-Inch Ranges of 2017
- Compact Appliances
- Anatomy of Appliances - Dishwashers
- The Best Large Capacity Front Load Washers of 2017
- Top 5 Coffee and Espresso Machines for Coffee Lovers
- Large Capacity Ovens
- Wall Ovens & Cooktop Combos - The New Range Replacement?
- The Best Appliance Finishes of 2017
- The Best Outdoor Grills of 2017
- The Best Compact Front-Loading Washers of 2017
- Remodeling an L-Shaped Kitchen
- How to Build a Luxury Kitchen for Less
- The Benefits Of Convection Ovens
- The Best Gas Ranges Under $1000
- Remodeling A Line Kitchen Layout
- A Guide to Specialty Ovens - Steam and Speed Ovens
- Vented Vs. Ventless Range Hoods
- Furniture Care Series Suede
- All About Built-in Dishwashers
- Freestanding Vs. Built-in Kitchen Appliances
- Flipper Kitchen Tips: How to Remodel Your Kitchen for a Profit
- Anatomy of Appliances - Wall Ovens
- Defrost Methods and How They Work
- A Guide to Maritime Appliances
- New Appliances From Thermador - Column Refrigeration
- Top Ten 24-inch Ranges of 2017
- New in 2017 - Superiore Appliances
- Child Safety Features in Appliances
- Smart Self-Diagnosing Appliances
- A Guide to Building An Outdoor Kitchen
- Energy Star Appliances
- La Cornue and Appliances Connection - An Inevitable Pairing
- How to Get a $2,000 Kitchen on a $600 Budget
- BlueStar Fall And Winter Color Preview
- Ashley Furniture - Powered Comfort
- The Top 5 Sub-Zero Refrigerators of 2017
- Appliances Connection and eCommerce - Shaking Industry Foundations
- Anatomy of Appliances - Refrigerators
- Anatomy of Appliances - Ranges
- Liebherr - Just Refrigeration
- Anatomy of Appliances - Washers
- Furniture Care - Wood
- Anatomy of Appliances - Dryers
- Black Friday Sale 2017
- Vented Vs. Ventless Dryers
- 30-Inch Ranges from Thermador and Wolf
- An In-Depth Look Into The GE Monogram Collection
- Stackable Washer and Dryer Sets - Top 5 for 2019
- Fisher Paykel 24 Inch Washer & Dryer Set
- French Door Vs. Side-By-Side Refrigerators
- The Best Way To Preserve Wine
- Furniture Care - Velvet
- Bosch Smart Appliances with Home Connect
- Holiday Gift Guide for Treating Yourself
- A Holiday Gift Guide for Busy Professionals
- A Holiday Gift Guide For Home Chefs
- Introducing BlueStar's New Chef-Inspired Electric Kitchen!
- Holiday Recipes for Microwaves
- Holiday Recipes For Ranges
- Six Best Speed Ovens
- Holiday Gift Guide for Home Entertainers
- Holiday Recipes For Wall Ovens
- Jenn-Air Appliances Guide
- An Eco-Friendly Holiday Gift Guide
- Holiday Gift Guide For New Homeowners
- Holiday Gift Guide for Home-Based Food Businesses
- A Family Friendly Holiday Gift Guide
- Top 5 Napoleon Fireplaces
- ADA Compliance for Public Restrooms
- Home Bar Essentials
- How to Upgrade Your Home on a Budget for 2018
- Custom Color Appliances
- The Best Side By Side Refrigerators of 2019
- Tips for a New You in 2018
- An Honest Review of the Viking VGIC53014BSS Range
- Viking Rebates | Luxury Kitchens for Less
- Induction Vs. Gas Vs. Electric
- The Best Washer and Dryer Sets. Period.
- GE Premium Appliance Finishes
- What's the Best Appliance Finish for your Kitchen in 2019?
- Miele Dishwasher Rebate Offer
- 36 Inch Freestanding Gas Ranges: Bertazzoni vs. Dacor vs. Tecnogas Superiore
- Top 5 Outdoor Undercounter Refrigerator Drawers
- Top 5 Steam Wall Ovens of 2019
- Should I Repair or Replace My Appliances?
- High Efficiency vs. Traditional Washers | Pros & Cons
- Enhancing Home Decor with Indirect LED Lighting
- French Door Refrigerator Comparison | Jenn-Air vs. Sub-Zero
- Quiz | Which Household Appliance Are You?
- The Quietest Dishwashers of 2019
- Laundry Symbols Guide
- Pitfalls of Rent-to-Own Appliances and Furniture
- Top Five 48 Inch Ranges of 2019
- Top 10 French Door Refrigerators 2018
- Top 5 Washers With No Agitator 2018
- The Best 36 Inch Induction Cooktops of 2019
- The Resurgence of Farm Kitchen Sinks
- The Best Kitchen Appliances Packages of 2019
- Top 5 Best GE Dishwashers 2019
- Top 5 Best Counter-Depth Refrigerators 2019
- Top 5 Best Wall Oven Microwave Combos 2018
- Microwave Drawers - Top 5 of 2019
- Top 5 GE Refrigerators 2019
- All About 24 Inch Compact Washers
- Top 10 Dishwashers of 2019
- Top 5 30-Inch Slide-In Ranges of 2018
- How to Stay Cool and Still Save Money
- Top 10 Double Wall Ovens of 2019
- Sharp Microwaves | A Glimpse Of The Future
- Fill Your Home with the Finer Appliances in Life
- Official Guide to Maintaining Your Laundry Room
- 30 Inch Professional Gas Ranges - Top 5 for 2019
- Top Five 48-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2018
- Are Wolf Professional Ranges Worth It?
- Top Five 30-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2018
- When and Why You Need a New Washer Hose?
- Horizontal Kitchens - On the Rise in 2018
- How to Feel Like a Professional Chef At Home
- Dual Fuel Ranges - Wolf Vs GE Monogram
- New for 2018 - Speed Queen's Top Loading Washers and Matching Dryers
- Top Five 36-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2019
- The Five Most Reliable Luxury Front Load Washers for 2019
- Dream Kitchens with Custom Color Panel Ready Refrigerators
- Top Five 60-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2019
- Comparing LG and Samsung Kitchen Appliance Packages
- Power Cords and Hard Wiring for New Cooking Appliances
- Top Five ADA Compliant Ranges for 2019
- Your Definitive Dual Fuel Range Guide for 2018
- Top Five ADA Compliant Refrigerators for 2019
- Top Five ADA Compliant Wall Ovens for 2019
- Review of the Napoleon Prestige PRO Series 77-Inch Grill
- Introducing Miele's New and Improved W1 T1 line of Washers and Dryers
- Whirlpool's Sunset Bronze Finish is On the Horizon
- An In-Depth Look at Viking Dishwashers
- A Look at Friedrich Air Conditioners - Luxury and Toughness in HVAC
- Your Definitive Guide to Luxury ADA Compliant Kitchen Appliances for 2018
- Best Built-In Gas Grills for 2019
- The Toto Neorest 750H Toilet - Indulgence in the Bathroom
- An In-Depth Look at the LG LMXS30776D Refrigerator
- Frigidaire - Celebrating a Century of Reliability
- Whirlpool Gas Cooktops | An In-Depth Look
- Right Arm Facing/Left Arm Facing Sectional Sofas - How to Tell the Difference
- May is Maytag Month at Appliances Connection
- A Look at the Maytag MEW9630FZ 30-Inch Electric Double Wall Oven
- LG PuriCare | Fresh Air In Your Home
- Why You Need the Miele CVA6405 24-Inch Built-In Coffee
- Appliances Connection vs. Discount Appliance Stores
- An In-Depth Look at the New Frigidaire FFBN1721TV 33-Inch French Door Refrigerator
- The Best Undercounter Wine Coolers for 2019
- The Best Luxury Outdoor Furniture Sets of 2018
- The Dacor Modernist Collection - Modern Can Be Timeless
- SMEG Kitchen Appliance Package Overview
- Fulgor Milano Kitchen Appliance Package Overview
- Frymaster Commercial Fryers Overview
- Blodgett Commercial Ovens Overview
- The Top Five Dual Fuel Double Ovens of 2018
- An In-Depth Look at the Miele 888026 Three-Piece Kitchen Appliance Package
- Whirlpool Sunset Bronze - Unique Beauty and Ultimate Dependability
- The Refrigerator Buying Guide for 2019
- Top Five ADA Compliant Cooktops for 2018
- Hestan Smart Induction Cooktops | Pushing the Limits of Innovation
- An In-Depth Look At A Viking Four-Piece Kitchen Appliance Package
- The Range Hood Buying Guide for 2019
What is the Difference Between Gas vs Electric vs Induction Cooktop/Ranges?
No matter what choice of range/cooktop you opt for, they're good at what they're designed to do and what they're designed to do is cook. Over time, appliances wear out and won't run quite as well as they once did. Outdated practices like calling the repairman are not as frequent as they once were. Nowadays, appliances are built a little more reliable in operation, but they're also easy to just replace with new appliances. Everyone has their preferences on which fuel hookup they prefer on their ranges/cooktops, but not everyone is aware or have used other methods beside what they are accustomed to. If provided with change in terms of technology and appliances, most folks would opt to stray away because they are hesitant to learn a new system. So, these folks are holding themselves back in learning new methods and applications with ranges/cooktops that may fit better with their lifestyle. Preference plays a pertinent role when deciding on new appliances, but a little education ensures a better purchase overall. Even the most know-it-all consumer can benefit in learning new innovations and technology for ranges/cooktops. Regarding new ranges/cooktops, there are two main fuel hookups with gas and electricity. For electric ranges, there is a derivative with induction cooking which uses electricity but the heating application differs a great deal from traditional electric cooktops/ranges. Electric cooktops/ranges emanate radiant heat from their respective heating elements. Conversely, induction cooktops/ranges transfers heat through electromagnetism into conductive cookware with virtually no trace of heat on the induction element itself. The best cooktop/range is based on your educated decision.
Whenever you decide to renovate your kitchen or when the time comes to replace or upgrade your home kitchen appliances, you may stumble upon a choice. The choice today with new ranges or cooktops come in the form of freestanding ranges, slide in ranges, drop in ranges, as well as, gas or electric hookups. This article will compare gas ranges/cooktops with electric ranges/cooktops. Depending on what fuel hookup is readily available in your home, the choice may be limited. Like most folks, we are accustomed to what we learned to use while growing up. Depending on geographical location, the choice for ranges and cooktops are gas, electric or induction. Theyre all effective at what theyre designed for, but there are certain advantages and disadvantages over the other.
Gas has a better performance overall in terms of output and precision. Theyre able to achieve high heat much quicker over electric and turn off immediately upon cessation.
Gas ranges/cooktops will work in the event of an electrical outage by using a match or lighter to ignite the gas flow.
Gas output is a little more precise in control as the flame output is quickly and easily adjusted in real time.
Gas heat is immediate and powerful from point of ignition, but electric tends to heat food faster in comparison in some cases.
Hard to Clean
Cleaning requires a bit more effort as there are grooves and crevices around the burners. Including the removal of burner grates, cleaning can be an ordeal.
Gas hookup ranges/cooktops emit a lot of radiant heat and will emanate throughout the kitchen and this could be uncomfortable for small kitchens.
Gas operational costs is more expensive as a fuel source compared to electricity. Especially true if the gas range is a pilot light model, which requires a constant flow of gas.
Typically, electric comes in two options, a smooth top (usually ceramic glass) with hidden heat element or a coil heating element on top. They come up to desired temperature slower compared to gas. Electric heating elements also take a while to cool down when turned off.
Easy to Clean
The convenience of a smooth top electric range/cooktop is they're easy to clean with no indents or crevices present.
Electric heating elements do not generate a lot of ambient heat and will maintain a cooler kitchen.
Electric ranges/cooktops are also considerably less expensive compared to gas counterparts.
Depends on Electricity
In the event of an electrical outage, electric ranges/cooktops will not work.
Retains Heat after Shutoff
Electric elements can get really hot and will retain high levels of heat even after they're turned off. They can't cool down as quickly as gas burners.
Easy to Damage
Although, a smooth top electric range/cooktop is easier to clean, it requires routine maintenance. Smooth tops are susceptible to damage from scratches and ceramic can crack if cold water touches it while hot.
A derivative from electric, induction ranges/cooktops utilize electricity as its fuel source. However, the difference is that with induction, the heating element is hidden on a smooth top surface. The major difference between induction cooking and traditional electric heating elements is electromagnetism. Induction cooking utilizes a metal coil to produce a transference of heat through induction capable cookware. Typically, any cookware that contains iron will work with induction.
They are safe as the heating element emits no radiant heat except through appropriate metals, but transient heat will still culminate around the cooking area. The residual heat is little to none and will dissipate quickly but it's never recommended to place your hands, limbs or bodily parts near any heat generating source.
Same as its traditional electric counterpart, induction elements produce no heat at all unless through transference of magnetic metals, so they are exceptional at maintaining a cooler room temperature.
No Wasted Heat
Induction cooking wastes no heat and will operate more economically even compared to traditional electric heating elements.
Depends on Electricity
Similar to their electric range counterpart, Induction also relies on electricity to work. In the situation where there is no electricity being supplied to your home, induction ranges/cooktops will not work.
Induction ranges and cooktops are typically a little more expensive to purchase compared to the other options.
Requires Conductive Cookware
Induction cooking requires appropriate cookware, typically anything containing iron. It won't work on anything else including aluminum, glass, or copper.