- Best Ideas for Outdoor Patio Space
- New Samsung AddWash 27inch Front Load Washer
- Washer and Dryer Combo Appliances
- Alternative Design by ACME Furniture
- Grilling - Cast Iron Grates Versus Stainless Steel Grates
- The 7 Questions you MUST Ask When Purchasing a Dishwasher
- Best Wall Ovens - April 2016
- All About The Wall Oven
- What is the Difference Between Gas vs Electric vs Induction Cooktop/Ranges?
- Agitator or No Agitator
- Chest Freezer vs Upright Freezer
- The Best Dishwashers of April 2016
- Why You Need a Convection Oven
- Dishwashers vs. Hand Washing
- Is Your Air Conditioner Too Noisy?
- Appliances and Voltage
- Top Load Washer vs Front Load Washer
- Scavolini Designs in Our Showroom
- Built-In Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Picks
- Open vs. Sealed Burners
- Certification Marks
- Top Ten Storage Options For Wine Lovers
- Top 5 Appliance Features for a Busy Lifestyle
- Gas vs Dual Fuel Ranges
- Top 5 Cool Refrigerator Features You Should Know About
- Dishwasher Features and Their Importance
- Freestanding vs. Slide-in Ranges
- Brass vs. Aluminum Burners
- Viking - The Heart of the Kitchen
- Dorm Appliance Suggestions
- Remodeling a U-Shaped Kitchen
- Smart Appliances with App Connectivity
- Top 5 Wall Ovens of 2017
- Top Five Double Wall Ovens of 2017
- Top 5 Dishwashers of 2017
- Top Five Column Refrigerators for 2017
- Everything You Need to Know About Energy-Efficient Appliances
- Top 10 French Door Refrigerators of 2017
- The Best Microwave Drawers of 2017
- Top Five 48-Inch Range Ovens of 2017
- All About the Bosch 24-Inch Compact Laundry Pair
- Top 5 Wall Oven Microwave Combos of 2017
- Top Five 30 Inch Slide-In Ranges in 2017
- Which Range Should You Buy? Professional vs. Standard Ranges
- The Best Front Load Washers of 2017
- The Best HE Top Load Washers of 2017
- Furniture Care Series - Leather Furniture
- The Power of Steam - For Cooking, Cleaning, Laundry and Relaxation
- Internal Venting Vs. External Venting
- Washer Guide - Stackable Vs. Side-By-Side
- Top Ten 36-Inch Ranges of 2017
- Compact Appliances
- Anatomy of Appliances - Dishwashers
- The Best Large Capacity Front Load Washers of 2017
- Top 5 Coffee and Espresso Machines for Coffee Lovers
- Large Capacity Ovens
- Wall Ovens & Cooktop Combos - The New Range Replacement?
- The Best Appliance Finishes of 2017
- The Best Outdoor Grills of 2017
- The Best Compact Front-Loading Washers of 2017
- Remodeling an L-Shaped Kitchen
- How to Build a Luxury Kitchen for Less
- The Benefits Of Convection Ovens
- The Best Gas Ranges Under $1000
- Remodeling A Line Kitchen Layout
- A Guide to Specialty Ovens - Steam and Speed Ovens
- Vented Vs. Ventless Range Hoods
- Furniture Care Series Suede
- All About Built-in Dishwashers
- Freestanding Vs. Built-in Kitchen Appliances
- Flipper Kitchen Tips: How to Remodel Your Kitchen for a Profit
- Anatomy of Appliances - Wall Ovens
- Defrost Methods and How They Work
- A Guide to Maritime Appliances
- New Appliances From Thermador - Column Refrigeration
- Top Ten 24-inch Ranges of 2017
- New in 2017 - Superiore Appliances
- Child Safety Features in Appliances
- Smart Self-Diagnosing Appliances
- A Guide to Building An Outdoor Kitchen
- Energy Star Appliances
- La Cornue and Appliances Connection - An Inevitable Pairing
- How to Get a $2,000 Kitchen on a $600 Budget
- BlueStar Fall And Winter Color Preview
- Ashley Furniture - Powered Comfort
- The Top 5 Sub-Zero Refrigerators of 2017
- Appliances Connection and eCommerce - Shaking Industry Foundations
- Anatomy of Appliances - Refrigerators
- Anatomy of Appliances - Ranges
- Liebherr - Just Refrigeration
- Anatomy of Appliances - Washers
- Furniture Care - Wood
- Anatomy of Appliances - Dryers
- Black Friday Sale 2017
- Vented Vs. Ventless Dryers
- 30-Inch Ranges from Thermador and Wolf
- An In-Depth Look Into The GE Monogram Collection
- Stackable Washer and Dryer Sets - Top 5 of 2018
- Fisher Paykel 24 Inch Washer & Dryer Set
- French Door Vs. Side-By-Side Refrigerators
- The Best Way To Preserve Wine
- Furniture Care - Velvet
- Bosch Smart Appliances with Home Connect
- Holiday Gift Guide for Treating Yourself
- A Holiday Gift Guide for Busy Professionals
- A Holiday Gift Guide For Home Chefs
- Introducing BlueStar's New Chef-Inspired Electric Kitchen!
- Holiday Recipes for Microwaves
- Holiday Recipes For Ranges
- Six Best Speed Ovens
- Holiday Gift Guide for Home Entertainers
- Holiday Recipes For Wall Ovens
- Jenn-Air Appliances Guide
- An Eco-Friendly Holiday Gift Guide
- Holiday Gift Guide For New Homeowners
- Holiday Gift Guide for Home-Based Food Businesses
- A Family Friendly Holiday Gift Guide
- Top 5 Napoleon Fireplaces
- ADA Compliance for Public Restrooms
- Home Bar Essentials
- How to Upgrade Your Home on a Budget for 2018
- Custom Color Appliances
- The Best Side By Side Refrigerators of 2019
- Tips for a New You in 2018
- An Honest Review of the Viking VGIC53014BSS Range
- Viking Rebates | Luxury Kitchens for Less
- Induction Vs. Gas Vs. Electric
- The Best Washer and Dryer Sets. Period.
- GE Premium Appliance Finishes
- What's the Best Appliance Finish for your Kitchen in 2019?
- Miele Dishwasher Rebate Offer
- 36 Inch Freestanding Gas Ranges: Bertazzoni vs. Dacor vs. Tecnogas Superiore
- Top 5 Outdoor Undercounter Refrigerator Drawers
- Top 5 Steam Wall Ovens of 2019
- Should I Repair or Replace My Appliances?
- High Efficiency vs. Traditional Washers | Pros & Cons
- Enhancing Home Decor with Indirect LED Lighting
- French Door Refrigerator Comparison | Jenn-Air vs. Sub-Zero
- Quiz | Which Household Appliance Are You?
- The Quietest Dishwashers of 2019
- Laundry Symbols Guide
- Pitfalls of Rent-to-Own Appliances and Furniture
- Top Five 48 Inch Ranges of 2019
- Top 10 French Door Refrigerators 2018
- Top 5 Washers With No Agitator 2018
- The Best 36 Inch Induction Cooktops of 2019
- The Resurgence of Farm Kitchen Sinks
- The Best Kitchen Appliances Packages of 2019
- Top 5 Best GE Dishwashers 2019
- Top 5 Best Counter-Depth Refrigerators 2019
- Top 5 Best Wall Oven Microwave Combos 2019
- Microwave Drawers - Top 5 of 2019
- Top 5 GE Refrigerators 2019
- All About 24 Inch Compact Washers
- Top 10 Dishwashers of 2019
- Top 5 30-Inch Slide-In Ranges of 2019
- How to Stay Cool and Still Save Money
- Top 10 Double Wall Ovens of 2019
- Sharp Microwaves | A Glimpse Of The Future
- Fill Your Home with the Finer Appliances in Life
- Official Guide to Maintaining Your Laundry Room
- 30 Inch Professional Gas Ranges - Top 5 for 2019
- Top Five 48-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2019
- Are Wolf Professional Ranges Worth It?
- Top Five 30-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2018
- When and Why You Need a New Washer Hose?
- Horizontal Kitchens - On the Rise in 2018
- How to Feel Like a Professional Chef At Home
- Dual Fuel Ranges - Wolf Vs GE Monogram
- New for 2018 - Speed Queen's Top Loading Washers and Matching Dryers
- Top Five 36-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2019
- The Five Most Reliable Luxury Front Load Washers for 2019
- Dream Kitchens with Custom Color Panel Ready Refrigerators
- Top Five 60-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2019
- Comparing LG and Samsung Kitchen Appliance Packages
- Power Cords and Hard Wiring for New Cooking Appliances
- Top Five ADA Compliant Ranges for 2019
- Your Definitive Dual Fuel Range Guide for 2018
- Top Five ADA Compliant Refrigerators for 2019
- Top Five ADA Compliant Wall Ovens for 2019
- Review of the Napoleon Prestige PRO Series 77-Inch Grill
- Introducing Miele's New and Improved W1 T1 line of Washers and Dryers
- Whirlpool's Sunset Bronze Finish is On the Horizon
- An In-Depth Look at Viking Dishwashers
- A Look at Friedrich Air Conditioners - Luxury and Toughness in HVAC
- Your Definitive Guide to Luxury ADA Compliant Kitchen Appliances for 2018
- Best Built-In Gas Grills for 2019
- The Toto Neorest 750H Toilet - Indulgence in the Bathroom
- An In-Depth Look at the LG LMXS30776D Refrigerator
- Frigidaire - Celebrating a Century of Reliability
- Whirlpool Gas Cooktops | An In-Depth Look
- Right Arm Facing/Left Arm Facing Sectional Sofas - How to Tell the Difference
- May is Maytag Month at Appliances Connection
- A Look at the Maytag MEW9630FZ 30-Inch Electric Double Wall Oven
- LG PuriCare | Fresh Air In Your Home
- Why You Need the Miele CVA6405 24-Inch Built-In Coffee
- Appliances Connection vs. Discount Appliance Stores
- An In-Depth Look at the New Frigidaire FFBN1721TV 33-Inch French Door Refrigerator
- The Best Undercounter Wine Coolers for 2019
- The Best Luxury Outdoor Furniture Sets of 2018
- The Dacor Modernist Collection - Modern Can Be Timeless
- SMEG Kitchen Appliance Package Overview
- Fulgor Milano Kitchen Appliance Package Overview
- Frymaster Commercial Fryers Overview
- Blodgett Commercial Ovens Overview
- The Top Five Dual Fuel Double Ovens of 2018
- An In-Depth Look at the Miele 888026 Three-Piece Kitchen Appliance Package
- Whirlpool Sunset Bronze - Unique Beauty and Ultimate Dependability
- The Refrigerator Buying Guide for 2019
- Top Five ADA Compliant Cooktops for 2018
- Hestan Smart Induction Cooktops | Pushing the Limits of Innovation
- An In-Depth Look At A Viking Four-Piece Kitchen Appliance Package
- The Range Hood Buying Guide for 2019
Refrigerator Buying Guide for 2019
Food preservation methods are important in terms of the quantity maintained for sustenance, but readily available fresh produce provide a better quality of nourishment. The advent of modern refrigeration is also responsible for feats in sciences like cryogenics and living standard comforts like air conditioning.
Nowadays, we're more concerned with how much capacity for food storage a refrigerator can supply and how much energy usage it would need. These are the key basic features that should be considered first when buying a new refrigerator. On top of that, new refrigerators today have a lot of features to make everything easier which, range from, but are not limited, to Wi-Fi capabilities, temperature display, ice and water dispensing and even power cooling functions.
In the past, the most important feature a refrigerator provided was the ability to keep your fresh food from spoiling too quickly. Nowadays, you can even watch television on your fridge. Here are some essential features to consider when buying a new refrigerator:
Water and Ice Dispensers - It's almost commonplace to see refrigerators able to dispense filtered water and ice cubes with the ease of pushing a button but not every fridge will have one. Having a water and ice dispenser on a fridge is convenient to gain access to ready-made ice cubes and filtered water.
Shelf & Compartment Space - This might not seem obvious at first but a good fridge should provide enough storage space, as well as, enough shelves and compartments to keep all your food items organized.
Humidity Control - Certain fresh produce (fruits and vegetables) require more humidity and certain food items (dried goods) require little to no humidity.
Temperature Control - A standard user-control setting for desired coldness a fridge provides is readily available on most, if not all, fridges but there are also refrigerators capable of individual compartment temperature control.
Power Cooling - Sometimes known as Express Chill, Quick Cool or similar. This feature is typically found in one particular compartment or drawer to rapidly cool or freeze food items. A useful feature for quickly cooling beverages or soften ice cream from grocery shopping.
Purchasing a New Refrigerator
As with all home appliances being offered on the market today, buying new refrigerators now come with a lot of features and creature comforts. The following is an important guideline to consider for new refrigerators.
Budget - Generally speaking, a new refrigerator, depending on options included, will cost anywhere from $400 to $2000. Of course, it will depend on how much you are willing to spend and what specific features you're looking for. There are technological behemoths that can run upwards in the $3000 range with more bells and whistles than you may or may not need.
Size - Although, bigger refrigerators can offer more storage space, certain homes can't hold a larger home appliance. Also certain fridges are designed to fit streamlined into existing cabinetry. Albeit, a stylish refrigerator can be a central focusing point to any modern kitchen decor, some attention should be given in terms to how big of a fridge can fit inside your living space.
Types of Refrigerators
Back in days of yonder, refrigerators had one door. Somewhere, along the line, some folks decided that to sell more refrigerators, the doors should be the first to be redesigned. One design I had not seen yet are Lamborghini inspired doors but you never know. The following are the most popular styles for refrigerators today.
Top Freezer - This is that classic look with two doors that pull open from the side with the larger compartment for keeping food cooled and the smaller compartment on top being the freezer.
Bottom Freezer - This is the reversed look of the top freezer style of refrigerators with the freezer located at the bottom. Typically, the bottom freezer for this style pulls out like a drawer instead of being pulled open from the side.
Side By Side - This style of fridge has both compartment doors able to be pulled open from the middle of the unit. Usually the freezer is located on the left hand side. Generally, an ice and water dispenser is located on the outside of the freezer door too.
French Door - This look borrows elements from a side by side and a bottom freezer. The cooling compartment is located on the top portion of the refrigerator and the freezer compartment is located on the bottom. The doors pull open from the middle on top and the freezer door pulls open from the bottom like a drawer.
Noise - It's highly doubtful anyone would enjoy hearing a loud compressor running at a high frequency. Nowadays, some homes don't have wall partitioned rooms for a separate kitchen, whether by design or by choice. It's worth investing in a new refrigerator that have measures implemented to reduce noise.
Energy Star - Refrigerators require constant use of electricity. Not only does this put a strain on your energy bills, but also with new technology being introduced all the time, newer refrigerators help meet more environmentally sound standards.
Adjustable Shelving - Food items come in an assortment of shapes and sizes. Being able to adjust the shelving or compartments inside your fridge is useful to be more efficient in food storage.
Ease of Use - Some refrigerators have been opting to have interior ice and/or water dispensers built in. This is mostly a design choice by the manufacturer to have a cleaner exterior look. However, it's also a preference for the consumer on whether or not they want an exterior or interior dispenser. With that being said, an exterior ice and/or water dispenser provides a benefit in ease of use and the retention of coldness without having to open the refrigerator door.
Before you go, make sure you check out some of our recent in-depth articles about some of the top refrigerators available today!
Top 10 French Door Refrigerators of 2019 - In this article, we break down the top ten French door refrigerators of 2018.
An In-Depth Look at the LG LMXS30776D Refrigerator - In this article, we examine one popular refrigerator model from renowned brand, LG.
An In-Depth Look at the New Frigidaire FFBN1721TV 33" French Door Refrigerator - In this article, we take a deep dive in the features of a brand-new refrigerator model from household brand, Frigidaire.