- Best Ideas for Outdoor Patio Space
- New Samsung AddWash 27inch Front Load Washer
- Washer and Dryer Combo Appliances
- Alternative Design by ACME Furniture
- Grilling - Cast Iron Grates Versus Stainless Steel Grates
- The 7 Questions you MUST Ask When Purchasing a Dishwasher
- Best Wall Ovens - April 2016
- All About The Wall Oven
- What is the Difference Between Gas vs Electric vs Induction Cooktop/Ranges?
- Agitator or No Agitator
- Chest Freezer vs Upright Freezer
- The Best Dishwashers of April 2016
- Why You Need a Convection Oven
- Dishwashers vs. Hand Washing
- Is Your Air Conditioner Too Noisy?
- Appliances and Voltage
- Top Load Washer vs Front Load Washer
- Scavolini Designs in Our Showroom
- Built-In Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Picks
- Open vs. Sealed Burners
- Certification Marks
- Top Ten Storage Options For Wine Lovers
- Top 5 Appliance Features for a Busy Lifestyle
- Gas vs Dual Fuel Ranges
- Top 5 Cool Refrigerator Features You Should Know About
- Dishwasher Features and Their Importance
- Freestanding vs. Slide-in Ranges
- Brass vs. Aluminum Burners
- Viking - The Heart of the Kitchen
- Dorm Appliance Suggestions
- Remodeling a U-Shaped Kitchen
- Smart Appliances with App Connectivity
- Top 5 Wall Ovens of 2017
- Top Five Double Wall Ovens of 2017
- Top 5 Dishwashers of 2017
- Top Five Column Refrigerators for 2017
- Everything You Need to Know About Energy-Efficient Appliances
- Top 10 French Door Refrigerators of 2017
- The Best Microwave Drawers of 2017
- Top Five 48-Inch Range Ovens of 2017
- All About the Bosch 24-Inch Compact Laundry Pair
- Top 5 Wall Oven Microwave Combos of 2017
- Top Five 30 Inch Slide-In Ranges in 2017
- Which Range Should You Buy? Professional vs. Standard Ranges
- The Best Front Load Washers of 2017
- The Best HE Top Load Washers of 2017
- Furniture Care Series - Leather Furniture
- The Power of Steam - For Cooking, Cleaning, Laundry and Relaxation
- Internal Venting Vs. External Venting
- Washer Guide - Stackable Vs. Side-By-Side
- Top Ten 36-Inch Ranges of 2017
- Compact Appliances
- Anatomy of Appliances - Dishwashers
- The Best Large Capacity Front Load Washers of 2017
- Top 5 Coffee and Espresso Machines for Coffee Lovers
- Large Capacity Ovens
- Wall Ovens & Cooktop Combos - The New Range Replacement?
- The Best Appliance Finishes of 2017
- The Best Outdoor Grills of 2017
- The Best Compact Front-Loading Washers of 2017
- Remodeling an L-Shaped Kitchen
- How to Build a Luxury Kitchen for Less
- The Benefits Of Convection Ovens
- The Best Gas Ranges Under $1000
- Remodeling A Line Kitchen Layout
- A Guide to Specialty Ovens - Steam and Speed Ovens
- Vented Vs. Ventless Range Hoods
- Furniture Care Series Suede
- All About Built-in Dishwashers
- Freestanding Vs. Built-in Kitchen Appliances
- Flipper Kitchen Tips: How to Remodel Your Kitchen for a Profit
- Anatomy of Appliances - Wall Ovens
- Defrost Methods and How They Work
- A Guide to Maritime Appliances
- New Appliances From Thermador - Column Refrigeration
- Top Ten 24-inch Ranges of 2017
- New in 2017 - Superiore Appliances
- Child Safety Features in Appliances
- Smart Self-Diagnosing Appliances
- A Guide to Building An Outdoor Kitchen
- Energy Star Appliances
- La Cornue and Appliances Connection - An Inevitable Pairing
- How to Get a $2,000 Kitchen on a $600 Budget
- BlueStar Fall And Winter Color Preview
- Ashley Furniture - Powered Comfort
- The Top 5 Sub-Zero Refrigerators of 2017
- Appliances Connection and eCommerce - Shaking Industry Foundations
- Anatomy of Appliances - Refrigerators
- Anatomy of Appliances - Ranges
- Liebherr - Just Refrigeration
- Anatomy of Appliances - Washers
- Furniture Care - Wood
- Anatomy of Appliances - Dryers
- Black Friday Sale 2017
- Vented Vs. Ventless Dryers
- 30-Inch Ranges from Thermador and Wolf
- An In-Depth Look Into The GE Monogram Collection
- Stackable Washer and Dryer Sets - Top 5 for 2019
- Fisher Paykel 24 Inch Washer & Dryer Set
- French Door Vs. Side-By-Side Refrigerators
- The Best Way To Preserve Wine
- Furniture Care - Velvet
- Bosch Smart Appliances with Home Connect
- Holiday Gift Guide for Treating Yourself
- A Holiday Gift Guide for Busy Professionals
- A Holiday Gift Guide For Home Chefs
- Introducing BlueStar's New Chef-Inspired Electric Kitchen!
- Holiday Recipes for Microwaves
- Holiday Recipes For Ranges
- Six Best Speed Ovens
- Holiday Gift Guide for Home Entertainers
- Holiday Recipes For Wall Ovens
- Jenn-Air Appliances Guide
- An Eco-Friendly Holiday Gift Guide
- Holiday Gift Guide For New Homeowners
- Holiday Gift Guide for Home-Based Food Businesses
- A Family Friendly Holiday Gift Guide
- Top 5 Napoleon Fireplaces
- ADA Compliance for Public Restrooms
- Home Bar Essentials
- How to Upgrade Your Home on a Budget for 2018
- Custom Color Appliances
- The Best Side By Side Refrigerators of 2019
- Tips for a New You in 2018
- An Honest Review of the Viking VGIC53014BSS Range
- Viking Rebates | Luxury Kitchens for Less
- Induction Vs. Gas Vs. Electric
- The Best Washer and Dryer Sets. Period.
- GE Premium Appliance Finishes
- What's the Best Appliance Finish for your Kitchen in 2019?
- Miele Dishwasher Rebate Offer
- 36 Inch Freestanding Gas Ranges: Bertazzoni vs. Dacor vs. Tecnogas Superiore
- Top 5 Outdoor Undercounter Refrigerator Drawers
- Top 5 Steam Wall Ovens of 2019
- Should I Repair or Replace My Appliances?
- High Efficiency vs. Traditional Washers | Pros & Cons
- Enhancing Home Decor with Indirect LED Lighting
- French Door Refrigerator Comparison | Jenn-Air vs. Sub-Zero
- Quiz | Which Household Appliance Are You?
- The Quietest Dishwashers of 2019
- Laundry Symbols Guide
- Pitfalls of Rent-to-Own Appliances and Furniture
- Top Five 48 Inch Ranges of 2019
- Top 10 French Door Refrigerators 2018
- Top 5 Washers With No Agitator 2018
- The Best 36 Inch Induction Cooktops of 2019
- The Resurgence of Farm Kitchen Sinks
- The Best Kitchen Appliances Packages of 2019
- Top 5 Best GE Dishwashers 2019
- Top 5 Best Counter-Depth Refrigerators 2019
- Top 5 Best Wall Oven Microwave Combos 2018
- Microwave Drawers - Top 5 of 2019
- Top 5 GE Refrigerators 2019
- All About 24 Inch Compact Washers
- Top 10 Dishwashers of 2019
- Top 5 30-Inch Slide-In Ranges of 2018
- How to Stay Cool and Still Save Money
- Top 10 Double Wall Ovens of 2019
- Sharp Microwaves | A Glimpse Of The Future
- Fill Your Home with the Finer Appliances in Life
- Official Guide to Maintaining Your Laundry Room
- 30 Inch Professional Gas Ranges - Top 5 for 2019
- Top Five 48-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2018
- Are Wolf Professional Ranges Worth It?
- Top Five 30-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2018
- When and Why You Need a New Washer Hose?
- Horizontal Kitchens - On the Rise in 2018
- How to Feel Like a Professional Chef At Home
- Dual Fuel Ranges - Wolf Vs GE Monogram
- New for 2018 - Speed Queen's Top Loading Washers and Matching Dryers
- Top Five 36-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2019
- The Five Most Reliable Luxury Front Load Washers for 2019
- Dream Kitchens with Custom Color Panel Ready Refrigerators
- Top Five 60-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2019
- Comparing LG and Samsung Kitchen Appliance Packages
- Power Cords and Hard Wiring for New Cooking Appliances
- Top Five ADA Compliant Ranges for 2019
- Your Definitive Dual Fuel Range Guide for 2018
- Top Five ADA Compliant Refrigerators for 2019
- Top Five ADA Compliant Wall Ovens for 2019
- Review of the Napoleon Prestige PRO Series 77-Inch Grill
- Introducing Miele's New and Improved W1 T1 line of Washers and Dryers
- Whirlpool's Sunset Bronze Finish is On the Horizon
- An In-Depth Look at Viking Dishwashers
- A Look at Friedrich Air Conditioners - Luxury and Toughness in HVAC
- Your Definitive Guide to Luxury ADA Compliant Kitchen Appliances for 2018
- Best Built-In Gas Grills for 2019
- The Toto Neorest 750H Toilet - Indulgence in the Bathroom
- An In-Depth Look at the LG LMXS30776D Refrigerator
- Frigidaire - Celebrating a Century of Reliability
- Whirlpool Gas Cooktops | An In-Depth Look
- Right Arm Facing/Left Arm Facing Sectional Sofas - How to Tell the Difference
- May is Maytag Month at Appliances Connection
- A Look at the Maytag MEW9630FZ 30-Inch Electric Double Wall Oven
- LG PuriCare | Fresh Air In Your Home
- Why You Need the Miele CVA6405 24-Inch Built-In Coffee
- Appliances Connection vs. Discount Appliance Stores
- An In-Depth Look at the New Frigidaire FFBN1721TV 33-Inch French Door Refrigerator
- The Best Undercounter Wine Coolers for 2019
- The Best Luxury Outdoor Furniture Sets of 2018
- The Dacor Modernist Collection - Modern Can Be Timeless
- SMEG Kitchen Appliance Package Overview
- Fulgor Milano Kitchen Appliance Package Overview
- Frymaster Commercial Fryers Overview
- Blodgett Commercial Ovens Overview
- The Top Five Dual Fuel Double Ovens of 2018
- An In-Depth Look at the Miele 888026 Three-Piece Kitchen Appliance Package
- Whirlpool Sunset Bronze - Unique Beauty and Ultimate Dependability
- The Refrigerator Buying Guide for 2019
- Top Five ADA Compliant Cooktops for 2018
- Hestan Smart Induction Cooktops | Pushing the Limits of Innovation
- An In-Depth Look At A Viking Four-Piece Kitchen Appliance Package
- The Range Hood Buying Guide for 2019
Should I Repair or Replace My Appliances?
Our appliances are the most important tools in our home. Therefore, when one of them malfunctions, it can feel like your whole routine is thrown out of order. The question then arises: is it more cost effective to replace the appliance or repair it?
The first determining factor is your appliance's age. If it is close to or over the average life expectancy of its category, it may be time to just replace it. The reason being that you may just end up with tons of repair costs and an ultimately hopeless appliance. The average life expectancies for each major household appliances are as follows:
Appliance Life Expectancy
If your appliance still has a number of good years left, the next factor to consider is the extent of the damage and the specific issue. You can likely repair some of the small operational issues on your own without having to spend extra money on a manufacturer service call. You should also check to see if your appliance is still under warranty. Most warranties include parts and labor, so all you'd have to do is call your manufacturer's customer service line and they'll likely dispatch a service representative to help you out.
Common Refrigerator & Freezer Problems and Solutions
Your refrigerator is always plugged in and working to keep your food from spoiling. Thankfully, most problems can be taken care of with a little time and elbow grease, the DIY way.
Loud Noises: Noises are annoying, but they don't usually indicate any real internal damage. It's likely happening because your fridge or freezer is working harder than usual to cool any new groceries or warmer foods. It can also occur if the refrigerator or freezer is in a warmer environment than usual.
Door Seal Issues: The door seal strip, or gasket, is one of the most important parts of your fridge or freezer. It keeps all the cold air in and prevents your appliance from expending more energy to stay cool. If it is torn or wrinkled, just buy a new one for your particular model. Peel off the old gasket and install the new one.
Condensation: This often goes hand in hand with gasket wear. If you notice that your refrigerator or freezer is not keeping your food cool, it could be because the door does not seal properly, so check the gasket. If this is the case, replace the gasket. If the condensation seems to be originating from the fridge itself, check the temperature setting. This is a sure sign that you need a new fridge. Unless your fridge is relatively new, we recommend looking into a replacement. If it is new, call in for a service appointment with your appliance's manufacturer.
Leaks: Your fridge should be installed so it's level and then tilted slightly so the front of the unit is higher than the back. This will allow the fridge to drain properly. A leak is often indicative of a drain problem. There may be water frozen in the drain. If this seems to be the case, unplug your appliance to let the water thaw. If your drain doesn't seem to be the source of the leaks, call for a service technician.
No Ice in the Icemaker: Make sure the temperature in the ice maker reads 0 degrees fahrenheit. If this doesn't help, the problem may be tied to issues with the water valve or water supply. If that seems to be the case, you'll need to contact a technician. Also, if there is no water in the dispenser, this could also be a valve issue and should be reviewed by a professional.
Frost Buildup & No Water in Dispenser: Alternately, if you have too much ice and frost building up in your freezer, there are two possible solutions you can try. Regular maintenance is important for the longevity of all appliances, but it Is especially important for refrigerators and freezers. Check out our maintenance articles for more details on how to care for your fridge and other appliances.
Common Washer Problems and Solutions
Strange Sounds and "Traveling:" If your washer is moving during a cycle or making a rattling sound, check to make sure it is level and properly installed. If you're hearing a sound that seems to be coming from inside the washer and the appliance seems securely planted on the floor, the issue may be the tub bearings. If those are damaged they will need to be replaced.
The Water Doesn't Drain: If this is your problem, your drain pump might be worn out or damaged. You may need to replace it, but check the connection between the drain hose and the drain pipe before you proceed with the removal and replacement of the pump.
There's No Water At All: Alternately, if your problem is that the drum won't fill with water, the issue likely lies with the drain pump again. Damage to the drain pump is often caused by something as simple as an item left in a pocket rattling around in the drum. Make sure you always empty the pockets of all your clothes before putting them in your washer and dryer!
Common Dryer Problems and Solutions
Loud Sounds: CSSheck your drum seal! Make sure you're not over loading your dryer, as this could damage the seal. If the problem persists after carefully loading your clothes and paying special attention to the seal, you may need to replace it.
The Dryer Doesn't Dry Your Clothes: If you're noticing that your clothes still feel damp after a cycle that previously dried the load well, you may have a broken thermal fuse that needs to be replaced. This damage is often caused by poor dryer maintenance, namely, neglecting to clean the lint screen regularly. The thermal fuse may also be the problem if your dryer stops running entirely.
Dryer Turns Off During Cycle: When your dryer turns off mid-cycle, the issue is likely a broken thermostat or blocked ventilation. Check your vents and thermostat; clear anything that may be clogging the vent and replace your thermostat.
Most of these dryer issues should be handled by a professional, so we recommend scheduling an appointment with your appliance's manufacturer or your local appliance professional.
Common Dishwasher Problems and Solutions
Cycle Won't Run: If your dishwasher won't run at all, check that the lights on the buttons are on or turn on when you press them. If they do, this rule out any electrical issues. If they don't you'll have to reset the breaker. Make sure the door is tightly sealed and the supply valves are connected properly. This should clear up any issues.
Dishwasher Won't Drain Water: The part that drains the water in your dishwasher is the drain hose. If you're having this issue. Check that nothing is obstructing it and that it is properly connected to your sink's drain line.
Dishwasher is Leaking: A leaking dishwasher can be a huge problem, particularly for those with wood floors. Make sure the door seals tightly and the dishwasher is level on all sides. The problem may come from human error, like adding too much detergent or machine error, like adding too much rinse agent. Treat each like a variable and lower the doses for each one-by-one to see which one is causing the problem.
Common Range Problems and Solutions
Burners Won't Ignite: This is a very dangerous issue, and unfortunately, it's a very common one. If you try to turn on your stove and notice that the burner isn't turning on, turn the knob to burn the burner off immediately. Check your pilot light, it has likely turned off. Make sure you ventilate the room by opening all the windows. Check the burners again, they should light.
If the flame is weak, the opening may be clogged and you'll need to clean your burners. Check the other burners on your range to see if this is the case. If all the other burner flames are noticeably less powerful, your problem may be due to a low supply of gas. We'd recommend calling a professional for this.
We heavily recommend diligent maintenance for your range to prevent grease fires and clogged burners. We also think that you should contact a professional as soon as possible if you notice a gas problem--you can't put a price on the well-being of your family.
Energy Efficiency & Cost
Another major factor to consider that applies to all appliances is cost. Most new appliances are energy efficient, some even have the Energy Star stamp of approval. If your appliance is old and isn't energy efficient, you should definitely consider upgrading. Energy efficient appliances save you money on your utility bills in the long run and appliances that use a ton of energy, naturally, cost more over time. Additionally, if your older appliance is having any of the issues we mentioned above, it could be using even more energy, so you'd be losing even more money.