- Best Ideas for Outdoor Patio Space
- New Samsung AddWash 27inch Front Load Washer
- Washer and Dryer Combo Appliances
- Alternative Design by ACME Furniture
- Grilling - Cast Iron Grates Versus Stainless Steel Grates
- The 7 Questions you MUST Ask When Purchasing a Dishwasher
- Best Wall Ovens - April 2016
- All About The Wall Oven
- What is the Difference Between Gas vs Electric vs Induction Cooktop/Ranges?
- Agitator or No Agitator
- Chest Freezer vs Upright Freezer
- The Best Dishwashers of April 2016
- Why You Need a Convection Oven
- Dishwashers vs. Hand Washing
- Is Your Air Conditioner Too Noisy?
- Appliances and Voltage
- Top Load Washer vs Front Load Washer
- Scavolini Designs in Our Showroom
- Built-In Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Picks
- Open vs. Sealed Burners
- Certification Marks
- Top Ten Storage Options For Wine Lovers
- Top 5 Appliance Features for a Busy Lifestyle
- Gas vs Dual Fuel Ranges
- Top 5 Cool Refrigerator Features You Should Know About
- Dishwasher Features and Their Importance
- Freestanding vs. Slide-in Ranges
- Brass vs. Aluminum Burners
- Viking - The Heart of the Kitchen
- Dorm Appliance Suggestions
- Remodeling a U-Shaped Kitchen
- Smart Appliances with App Connectivity
- Top 5 Wall Ovens of 2017
- Top Five Double Wall Ovens of 2017
- Top 5 Dishwashers of 2017
- Top Five Column Refrigerators for 2017
- Everything You Need to Know About Energy-Efficient Appliances
- Top 10 French Door Refrigerators of 2017
- The Best Microwave Drawers of 2017
- Top Five 48-Inch Range Ovens of 2017
- All About the Bosch 24-Inch Compact Laundry Pair
- Top 5 Wall Oven Microwave Combos of 2017
- Top Five 30 Inch Slide-In Ranges in 2017
- Which Range Should You Buy? Professional vs. Standard Ranges
- The Best Front Load Washers of 2017
- The Best HE Top Load Washers of 2017
- Furniture Care Series - Leather Furniture
- The Power of Steam - For Cooking, Cleaning, Laundry and Relaxation
- Internal Venting Vs. External Venting
- Washer Guide - Stackable Vs. Side-By-Side
- Top Ten 36-Inch Ranges of 2017
- Compact Appliances
- Anatomy of Appliances - Dishwashers
- The Best Large Capacity Front Load Washers of 2017
- Top 5 Coffee and Espresso Machines for Coffee Lovers
- Large Capacity Ovens
- Wall Ovens & Cooktop Combos - The New Range Replacement?
- The Best Appliance Finishes of 2017
- The Best Outdoor Grills of 2017
- The Best Compact Front-Loading Washers of 2017
- Remodeling an L-Shaped Kitchen
- How to Build a Luxury Kitchen for Less
- The Benefits Of Convection Ovens
- The Best Gas Ranges Under $1000
- Remodeling A Line Kitchen Layout
- A Guide to Specialty Ovens - Steam and Speed Ovens
- Vented Vs. Ventless Range Hoods
- Furniture Care Series Suede
- All About Built-in Dishwashers
- Freestanding Vs. Built-in Kitchen Appliances
- Flipper Kitchen Tips: How to Remodel Your Kitchen for a Profit
- Anatomy of Appliances - Wall Ovens
- Defrost Methods and How They Work
- A Guide to Maritime Appliances
- New Appliances From Thermador - Column Refrigeration
- Top Ten 24-inch Ranges of 2020
- New in 2017 - Superiore Appliances
- Child Safety Features in Appliances
- Smart Self-Diagnosing Appliances
- A Guide to Building An Outdoor Kitchen
- Energy Star Appliances
- La Cornue and Appliances Connection - An Inevitable Pairing
- How to Get a $2,000 Kitchen on a $600 Budget
- BlueStar Fall And Winter Color Preview
- Ashley Furniture - Powered Comfort
- The Top 5 Sub-Zero Refrigerators of 2017
- Appliances Connection and eCommerce - Shaking Industry Foundations
- Anatomy of Appliances - Refrigerators
- Anatomy of Appliances - Ranges
- Liebherr - Just Refrigeration
- Anatomy of Appliances - Washers
- Furniture Care - Wood
- Anatomy of Appliances - Dryers
- Black Friday Sale 2017
- Vented Vs. Ventless Dryers
- 30-Inch Ranges from Thermador and Wolf
- An In-Depth Look Into The GE Monogram Collection
- Stackable Washer and Dryer Sets - Top 5 for 2019
- Fisher Paykel 24 Inch Washer & Dryer Set
- French Door Vs. Side-By-Side Refrigerators
- The Best Way To Preserve Wine
- Furniture Care - Velvet
- Bosch Smart Appliances with Home Connect
- Holiday Gift Guide for Treating Yourself
- A Holiday Gift Guide for Busy Professionals
- A Holiday Gift Guide For Home Chefs
- Introducing BlueStar's New Chef-Inspired Electric Kitchen!
- Holiday Recipes for Microwaves
- Holiday Recipes For Ranges
- Six Best Speed Ovens
- Holiday Gift Guide for Home Entertainers
- Holiday Recipes For Wall Ovens
- Jenn-Air Appliances Guide
- An Eco-Friendly Holiday Gift Guide
- Holiday Gift Guide For New Homeowners
- Holiday Gift Guide for Home-Based Food Businesses
- A Family Friendly Holiday Gift Guide
- Top 5 Napoleon Fireplaces
- ADA Compliance for Public Restrooms
- Home Bar Essentials
- How to Upgrade Your Home on a Budget for 2018
- Custom Color Appliances
- The Best Side By Side Refrigerators of 2019
- Tips for a New You in 2018
- An Honest Review of the Viking VGIC53014BSS Range
- Viking Rebates | Luxury Kitchens for Less
- Induction Vs. Gas Vs. Electric
- The Best Washer and Dryer Sets. Period.
- GE Premium Appliance Finishes
- What's the Best Appliance Finish for your Kitchen in 2019?
- Miele Dishwasher Rebate Offer
- 36 Inch Freestanding Gas Ranges: Bertazzoni vs. Dacor vs. Tecnogas Superiore
- Top 5 Outdoor Undercounter Refrigerator Drawers
- Top 5 Steam Wall Ovens of 2019
- Should I Repair or Replace My Appliances?
- High Efficiency vs. Traditional Washers | Pros & Cons
- Enhancing Home Decor with Indirect LED Lighting
- French Door Refrigerator Comparison | Jenn-Air vs. Sub-Zero
- Quiz | Which Household Appliance Are You?
- The Quietest Dishwashers of 2019
- Laundry Symbols Guide
- Pitfalls of Rent-to-Own Appliances and Furniture
- Top Five 48 Inch Ranges of 2019
- Top 10 French Door Refrigerators 2018
- Top 5 Washers With No Agitator 2018
- The Best 36 Inch Induction Cooktops of 2019
- The Resurgence of Farm Kitchen Sinks
- The Best Kitchen Appliances Packages of 2019
- Top 5 Best GE Dishwashers 2019
- Top 5 Best Counter-Depth Refrigerators 2019
- Top 5 Best Wall Oven Microwave Combos 2018
- Microwave Drawers - Top 5 of 2019
- Top 5 GE Refrigerators 2019
- All About 24 Inch Compact Washers
- Top 10 Dishwashers of 2019
- Top 5 30-Inch Slide-In Ranges of 2018
- How to Stay Cool and Still Save Money
- Top 10 Double Wall Ovens of 2019
- Sharp Microwaves | A Glimpse Of The Future
- Fill Your Home with the Finer Appliances in Life
- Official Guide to Maintaining Your Laundry Room
- 30 Inch Professional Gas Ranges - Top 5 for 2019
- Top Five 48-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2018
- Are Wolf Professional Ranges Worth It?
- Top Five 30-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2018
- When and Why You Need a New Washer Hose?
- Horizontal Kitchens - On the Rise in 2018
- How to Feel Like a Professional Chef At Home
- Dual Fuel Ranges - Wolf Vs GE Monogram
- New for 2018 - Speed Queen's Top Loading Washers and Matching Dryers
- Top Five 36-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2019
- The Five Most Reliable Luxury Front Load Washers for 2019
- Dream Kitchens with Custom Color Panel Ready Refrigerators
- Top Five 60-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2019
- Comparing LG and Samsung Kitchen Appliance Packages
- Power Cords and Hard Wiring for New Cooking Appliances
- Top Five ADA Compliant Ranges for 2019
- Your Definitive Dual Fuel Range Guide for 2018
- Top Five ADA Compliant Refrigerators for 2019
- Top Five ADA Compliant Wall Ovens for 2019
- Review of the Napoleon Prestige PRO Series 77-Inch Grill
- Introducing Miele's New and Improved W1 T1 line of Washers and Dryers
- Whirlpool's Sunset Bronze Finish is On the Horizon
- An In-Depth Look at Viking Dishwashers
- A Look at Friedrich Air Conditioners - Luxury and Toughness in HVAC
- Your Definitive Guide to Luxury ADA Compliant Kitchen Appliances for 2018
- Best Built-In Gas Grills for 2019
- The Toto Neorest 750H Toilet - Indulgence in the Bathroom
- An In-Depth Look at the LG LMXS30776D Refrigerator
- Frigidaire - Celebrating a Century of Reliability
- Whirlpool Gas Cooktops | An In-Depth Look
- Right Arm Facing/Left Arm Facing Sectional Sofas - How to Tell the Difference
- May is Maytag Month at Appliances Connection
- A Look at the Maytag MEW9630FZ 30-Inch Electric Double Wall Oven
- LG PuriCare | Fresh Air In Your Home
- Why You Need the Miele CVA6405 24-Inch Built-In Coffee
- Appliances Connection vs. Discount Appliance Stores
- An In-Depth Look at the New Frigidaire FFBN1721TV 33-Inch French Door Refrigerator
- The Best Undercounter Wine Coolers for 2019
- The Best Luxury Outdoor Furniture Sets of 2018
- The Dacor Modernist Collection - Modern Can Be Timeless
- SMEG Kitchen Appliance Package Overview
- Fulgor Milano Kitchen Appliance Package Overview
- Frymaster Commercial Fryers Overview
- Blodgett Commercial Ovens Overview
- The Top Five Dual Fuel Double Ovens of 2018
- An In-Depth Look at the Miele 888026 Three-Piece Kitchen Appliance Package
- Whirlpool Sunset Bronze - Unique Beauty and Ultimate Dependability
- The Refrigerator Buying Guide for 2019
- Top Five ADA Compliant Cooktops for 2018
- Hestan Smart Induction Cooktops | Pushing the Limits of Innovation
- An In-Depth Look At A Viking Four-Piece Kitchen Appliance Package
- The Range Hood Buying Guide for 2019
High Efficiency VS. Traditional Washers | Pros & Cons
If you've purchased a washer and dryer set recently, you may have been surprised by the wide array of distinctive features, styles, and technological advancements in even the most basic models. Finding the ideal laundry machines can be challenging but determining what features are most important to you is the first step. Appliances Connection is proud to be your source of premium washers and dryers and have all the search tools to help you make the right choice. While there are numerous different shapes, sizes, and features to consider, in this article we will explore the differences between two washer options; Traditional and High Efficiency Washers. For more information on appliances, furniture, and home design, be sure to check out the other informative articles on the Learning Center, exclusively on Appliances Connection!
High Efficiency Washers
High Efficiency washers utilize technology that helps to reduce the amount of water and energy required to do a load of laundry. High Efficiency washers have been standard in Europe for quite a while but are only recently becoming adopted as the popular design in the United States. Consumers are primarily attracted to the lower levels of water and energy consumption, but the deep cleaning properties are a close second. HE washers deliver a concentrated clean that penetrates deep into the fibers of the fabrics being washed. By using a special HE detergent with a higher detergent concentration, these models provided powerful and efficient cleaning to any item. Additionally, requiring less water means less dilution of detergent which results in an exceedingly effective cleaning process. These washers use much less energy than traditional models and have more movement, so your garments are kept in constant motion. More motion ensures clothes and linens are being cleaned more thoroughly. Also, HE washers produce less suds than traditional models. Suds make it more difficult for clothes to move around in the washer which can result in less effective washing. You'll find that HE washers typically cost about the same as traditional washers per load but the special detergent can be slightly more expensive.
- Concentrated cleaning with special HE detergent.
- Uses less water for less detergent dilution.
- Less energy usage and more movement for thorough cleaning.
- Less suds = More room for clothes to move and better cleaning.
- Cost per load is no more than traditional models.
- Longer wash cycles due to lower water level.
- HE detergent can be slightly higher price.
- Not compatible with traditional detergents.
- Require special care to ensure proper air circulation.
- Initial price can be steeper than traditional models.
Featured High Efficiency Washers
LG WM3270CW - LG 27" Smart Front Load Washer with 4.5 cu. ft. capacity, 9 wash cycles, 1300 RPM, stainless steel drum, coldwash, NFC Tag-On Technology, SmartDiagnosis, Lo Decibel Operation, TrueBalance, 6Motion Technology, SmartThinQ Technology in White.
Whirlpool WTW8500DW - Whirlpool Cabrio Series 28" Top Load Washer with 5.3 cu. ft. capacity, 26 wash cycles, 850 RPM, Steam Cycle, Stainless Steel Drum, Precision Dispense, in White.
Samsung WF45K6500AV - Samsung Black Stainless Steel Series 27" Front Load Washer with 4.5 cu. ft. capacity, 14 wash cycles, 1300 RPM, Steam Cycle, Stainless Steel Drum, Diamond Drum, VRT, SuperSpeed, Steam Wash, Self Clean+, AddWash, in Black Stainless Steel.
Fisher Paykel WL4027G1 - Fisher Paykel AquaSmart Series 27" Top Load Washer with 4 cu. ft. capacity, 6 wash cycles, 1100 RPM, Stainless Steel Drum, SmartDrive Technology, SmartTouch Controls, UL Certification, in White.
Traditional washing machines have long been the go-to appliance for getting laundry done effectively. Though High Efficiency models have staked their claim in the market, traditional models are still in use across the country. One benefit of these washers is their shorter wash time due to increased water usage. Traditional washers don't tumble clothes like HE models. Rather, they typically use a more monotonous motion like clockwise or counter-clockwise for a thorough washing. This process provides more of a surface cleaning and is gentler on your garments than an HE washer might be. There are a wide variety of traditional washing machines and their initial costs are generally lower than their HE counterparts. Traditional washers are also not as susceptible to poor air circulation meaning that mildew and musky scents are much less of a concern with these models.
- Shorter wash time due to increased water usage.
- Monotonous cleaning motion gives increased surface clean and is gentler.
- Lower initial costs than HE models.
- Don't require special detergent for optimal results.
- Smaller load capacity means having to run it more often.
- More water required for optimal cleaning.
- Less efficient/thorough washing of clothes than HE models.
- Higher utility costs in the long run.
Featured Traditional Washers
Maytag MVWB765FC - Maytag 28" Top Load Washer with 4.7 cu. ft. Capacity, 11 Wash Cycles, Sanitize Cycle, PowerWash Agitator, Cold Wash Cycle, UL Certification, Stainless-Steel Drum, in Metallic Slate.
GE GTW685BSLWS - GE 27" Top Load Washer with 4.5 cu. ft. Capacity, 14 Wash Cycles, 800 RPM, Dual Action Agitator, Speed Wash, Deep Water Rinse, in White.
Frigidaire FFTW4120SW - Frigidaire 27" Top Load Washer with 4.1 cu. ft. Capacity, 12 Wash Cycles, 680 RPM, Delay Start, in White.
Whirlpool WTW4816FW - Whirlpool 28" Top Load Washer with 3.5 cu. ft. Capacity, 12 Wash Cycles, 700 RPM, Dual Action Spiral Agitator, in White.