- How to buy a Toilet
- American Flag Cake
- Dishwasher Graphic Guide!
- I Furnished My Laundry Room?Now What?
- The 7 Best Kitchen Appliances to Give as Wedding Gifts
- The Best Home Appliances for Apartment Living
- How to Find the Best Deals Online?
- Do You Repair or Replace Your Appliances?
- Ask Yourself These Five Questions Before Buying an Appliance
- Should You Buy A Washer-Dryer Combo?
- To Steam, or Not to Steam?
- The Benefits of Buying Kitchen Appliance Packages
- Freezer or Refrigerator -- You Choose!
- What Happens Inside a Dishwasher
- Why Is My Glassware Cloudy?
- What?s Most Important in a Kitchen?s Design
- Best Apartment Size Appliances Every Household Should Have
- What Do Dishwasher Noise Levels Even Mean?
- How to Host a Barbecue in the Comfort of Your Kitchen
- How to Choose the Right Grill for Your Outdoor Kitchen
- Stainless Steel and Fighting the Fingerprints
- What to Know When Buying Your Appliances Online
- Appliances Connection Announces Mobile Site
- How to Care for Cast Iron Appliances
- Kitchen Remodel Tips
- Black Friday Deals at Appliances Connection
- Life is Good for LG Washers
- Do Smart Appliances Really Help Make Things Simpler? My Experience
- What Makes Smart Appliances, 'smart'?
- Appliance Connection?s Designer Spotlight : Klein Kitchen and Bath
- 5 Tips for Choosing Your First Smart Appliance
- Transform Your Kitchen into a Work of Art with GE Artistry
- The Bosch Washer Promise
- The Samsung French-Door Revolution
- Home of the Future: Smarter and More Energy Efficient
- Whirlpool Dishwasher with AccuSense
- 5 Benefits of Owning a Curved TV
- Energy Star Certified Commercial Foodservice Equipment
- To Clean or Not to Clean
- Are You Washing Laundry the Right Way?
- Introducing the GE Cafe French-door Wall Oven
- Refrigerator Buying Tips
- Should You Purchase an Extended Warranty?
- Swash Fits Your Lifestyle and Your Space
- Do You Need a Smart Home or a Thoughtful Home?
- Frigidaire FGVU17F8QF: Is it a Refrigerator or a Freezer?
- Samsung Brings Their A Game ? Top Chef Collection
- 5 Father's Day Gifts Dad is Sure to Love
- Holy Smokes! It?s an Invisible TV!
- Welcome to the Diamond Life - LG Diamond Collection
- GE Caf? for the Serious Home Cook
- Ultimate Washer Buying Guide
- Electrolux IQ Touch EI30GF45QS
- Range Buying Guide
- Cooking Safely with Gas
- How to Extend the Life of Your Refrigerator
- 3 Ways to Clean Your Stainless Steel Appliances
- Is 2015 Year of the Black Stainless Steel Appliances?
- Food Handling 101
- Food Safety at the Grill
- Holiday Food Storage Safety
- How to eat safe while travelling!
- Memorial Day 2016 - LG Twinwash Sale
- AGA at AC: Labor Day Deals & Steals!
- Fall Recipes You Have to Try!
- Healthy Summer Recipes Using Your Smeg Appliances
- 4 Luxurious Kitchens In New York?s Most Expensive Homes
- 3 Beautiful Kitchen Ideas For Brooklyn Brownstones
- Home Theater and Audio Buying Guide
- Inside the Homes and Kitchens Of World Cup?s Top Soccer Stars
- The Savings Continue at Appliances Connection's 2018 Cyber Monday Sale
- An Evening of Cheerful Banter, Sumptuous Food, and New Appliance Features at a Fisher & Paykel Cooking Demonstration
- Five Distinctive Living Room Sets from Coaster
- Celebrate National Bagel Day with Bacon, Scallion, and Cream Cheese Filled Everything Bagel Bombs
- Robot Vacuum Buying Guide
- Appliances Connection Takes a Day Trip Touring the Good Housekeeping Institute and Miele Showroom Part 1
- Sarah Boone: Mother of the Modern Ironing Board
- Expert Opinion: Most Popular High-End Kitchen Packages
- Curved TV Buying Guide
- Looking For High Paying Affiliate Programs? Choose High-End Appliances
What Makes Smart Appliances, 'smart'?
By April Khan, Appliances Connection
What?s a smartphone if not a remote control? Wow. I never thought I?d write a sentence like that in my lifetime (not that I would be writing in any other lifetime, but I digress). Smartphones are already capable of doing so much! You can send a fax while you talk, edit a video and upload it to YouTube, and not to mention what you could do with the millions of brilliant downloadable apps. But now, a smartphone doubles-up as a super distance remote control for smart appliances.
Smart appliances contain more groundbreaking innovation than meets the eye. They?re appealing to look at, modern and sleek, but they also contain automated features that a growing connected family would like. Even some they didn?t know they?d like.
I suppose manufacturers could have used the word ?connected?, but that doesn?t really implicate what the appliance does. Connected devices and connected appliances are two terms tossed around a lot, and really ?connected? just means they can connect to the internet wirelessly or by wire.
?Smart? means that the appliances can do something cool with that connectivity, like auto wash your clothes, text you when your food is done or suggest menu options while you peruse your refrigerator shelves. The term smart has also become synonymous with central brain technology like Android and iOS; or big brand names like Samsung and LG. In 2010, we officially started noticing more and more devices with the term ?smart? preceding them. Smart appliances were here before we knew it -- in fact, they were here before we knew what to do with them.
Introducing Smart Appliances
The biggest purchases in our homes are now the most competitive. I call them the ?Furious Five?. They are the TV, Refrigerator, Oven (Range), Washer and Dryer. We can?t live without many of these items, and for that reason, they are a little pricey. This has lead consumers to have a kind of ??wow me? attitude when it comes to making a purchase. I am the same way. Why should I spend $800 on a basic model, when I could pay an extra $50 for additional ?essential? functions? Or better yet, why would I pay $800 for a basic model when I could pay $800 for a smart one?
What Can You Buy With Your Smart Bucks?
Currently, you can buy a smart washer and dryer, range, refrigerator, TV, microwave, stereo and even smart thermometers. By the time I finish writing this, there will probably be a dozen more smart products on offer.
I spoke too soon...
I just spotted a smart hot water heater! I?ll have to look into that.
Meanwhile, I really love connected devices and how easy my life has become using them. If you?re looking to make the most of your appliance buying power, I?d suggest incorporating a few smart items into your home. Namely, your kitchen and laundry room.
If you?d like to see the smart appliances currently on offer, visit Appliances Connection!
If you already own a smart appliance, I?d love to hear about your experience owning it. Did it make life easier for you and your family? What new appliances are you in the market for today? Share your comment below, and as always have a great day!