Smart technology is the latest innovation in the realm of appliances, and two of the largest and most popular brands—Samsung and Whirlpool—each have their own line of smart appliances on the market.
What are smart appliances, exactly? They are appliances that you can connect to, control, and monitor via your smartphone or other device. Some smart appliances go so far as to respond to voice commands, adding a whole new meaning to the word “convenience.” And while Samsung and Whirlpool have both earned long-standing reputations for high-quality products spanning the marketplace, the question we’re posing is: “which brand produces the best smart appliances?” The only real way is to match Samsung smart appliances with Whirlpool smart appliances and see how they stack up against each other. Here, we’re going to do a side-by-side comparison of the two brands and their various offerings along to see which models are smart…and which models are brilliant.
WASHER AND DRYER SETS
What could be better that being able to check on your laundry from any room in the house? Samsung’s smart washer and dryer allows you to remotely start or stop your cycle, schedule laundry on your time, receive end of cycle alerts, and more right from your smartphone. And the Whirlpool optional smart features allow you to streamline your laundry cycles remotely from your smart devices.
This 27" front load laundry pair from Samsung have everything you could need from a laundry pair. Samsung`s breakthrough SuperSpeed technology provides a fast and thorough cleaning without sacrificing performance, washing a full load only 36 minutes. And the dryer’s Steam Sanitize+ infuses the laundry with steam to remove odors, static and wrinkles, removing 99.9% of germs and bacteria, over 95% of pollen, and 100% of dust mites—and you can’t get much cleaner than that.
- Samsung’s Steam Wash – saturates every item for a deeper clean
- Vibration Reduction Technology – sensors keep heavy loads balanced even at high spin
- Sensor Dry - automatically adjusts drying time based on moisture levels
- Self-Clean+ Technology - keeps the washer tub fresh by removing dirt and bacteria
- Drum Lighting – find what items you need with ease
- VentSensor - notifies you of lint blockage in the vent duct
- 12 Dry Cycles – dry your clothing perfectly
- Swirl Drum - keeps fabrics safe from snags and abrasions
- Energy Star – save money and save the environment
- Child Lock – keeps your settings protected
- Reversible Door – for convenient configuration
Whirlpool’s 28” top load washer and 29” front load dryer pair can tackle any cleaning conundrum with a host of features aside from being smart appliances. Their intuitive controls make selecting the perfect cycle a breeze. The Deep Water wash cycle helps break down loose soils using more water and thorough cleaning so stains don`t stick around. And the dryer’s handy Steam Refresh cycle releases wrinkles and reduces odors without rewashing.
- EcoBoost – great drying performance while using less energy
- Wrinkle Shield Plus – tumbles and steams clothes for up to 150 minutes after a cycle ends
- Load & Go – cartridge holds enough detergent for 20 loads
- Adaptive Wash Technology – sensors adapt wash cycle time and water temperature
- EasyView Glass Lid – check on your wash load easily
- Sanitize Cycle - removes 99.9% of household bacteria with extra hot water
- Smooth Impeller – offers extra capacity and gentle cleaning
- Energy Star – less expense and less environmental impact
- Pretreat Station Plus - built-in dual temperature faucet and pretreat brush
- Interior Drum Light – helps you see everything in the dryer drum
It’s a close call, but it looks like the Samsung washer and dryer is the better pair, offering slightly more options including the extremely effective steam wash and a dryer that senses your load status. It is also a more affordable set.
One things that sets dishwashers apart from other appliances is not being able to look inside to check on the progress. However, with Samsung’s smart dishwasher you can r monitor and control the dishwasher from your smartphone. And with the Whirlpool, you can start cycles, delay the wash until you've left the house or easily keep up with service, maintenance and supplies.
Samsung’s 24 Inch Smart Built-In Dishwasher has plenty of power with seven wash cycles and enough space to handle 15 full place settings. It features the linear-motion AquaBlast jet spray system to provide corner to corner coverage for superior cleaning. The adjustable rack height allows you to easily insert bulky cookware or serving plates. And for those especially soiled items, the Zone Booster provides an additional water stream to bottom left area for hard to clean pots and pans.
- Whisper Quiet Cleaning – operates at an incredibly low 39 dBA
- AutoRelease Door – automatically opens at the end of a cycle for improved drying
- Flexible 3rd Rack - provides extra space to load silverware and oversized utensils
- Express 60 – a faster cycle for items that don’t need intensive cleaning
- Front Panel LED Display – lets you know how long a cycle has left
- Premium Ball Bearing Rails – for effortless rack movement
- Fingerprint Resistant Exterior - reduces smudges for an everyday neat appearance
- Energy Star – lower energy bills and a smaller carbon footprint
This 24” Smart Built-In Dishwasher from Whirlpool is loaded with convenient features and programs that make this a seriously self-contained cleaning unit. It can hold up to 15 place settings and offers five wash cycles coupled with six wash options including a one-hour wash, a sanitize cycle, and a delay program for up to 24 hours. And the remote start feature lets you use your smartphone or tablet to remotely turn your dishwasher on so it's ready to wash dishes when you are.
- Third Level Rack – offers 35% more rack space
- Download & Go Option – create customized care for any cleaning necessity
- Voice Control – works with Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa-enabled devices
- TotalCoverage Spray Arm - cleans with twice the jets and increased water pressure
- Sensor Cycle - automatically sets the right wash and dry settings for each load
- Soil Sensor - determines how dirty dishes are and adjusts the cycle as needed
- 1-Hour Wash Cycle - clean dishes in half the time
- Folding Tines - secure dishes during the wash cycle or fold down to create more room
- In-Door Silverware Basket- frees up rack space
- Heated Dry Option - for optimal drying results
- Amazon Dash Replenishment - automatically orders dishwashing supplies
- Control Lock – remotely disable the control panel to avoid unintended use
- Sani Rinse Option - sanitizes dishes by eliminating 99.99% of food soil bacteria
- Energy Star Certified – exceeds government efficiency standards
In this category the Whirlpool dishwasher would seem the obvious choice, offering many more amenities and smart features than the Samsung model, including as the ultimate in convenience—voice control.
DOUBLE WALL OVENS
No longer do you have to live in the kitchen to perfectly prepare food. With the Samsung model, you can check on oven temperature and change cooking options from afar. And the Whirlpool has a Scan-to-Cook smart program that takes any guesswork when cooking frozen foods.
With this smart double wall oven from Samsung, you get power in the traditional oven paired with the convenience and speed of the upper microwave. Set in stainless steel, this electric oven offers 7 cu. ft. total capacity—the largest capacity microwave combination oven with an integrated design. The eye-catching blue ceramic interior will be kept tidy with the steam clean/self-clean program, and the digital touch controls make navigating the numerous programs offered easy.
- Digital Touch Controls - touch controls offer an integrated and premium design
- Hidden Bake Element – concealed bottom element makes it easier to clean
- Blue Ceramic Interior - offers a premium look and feel
- Sensor Cooking – microwave automatically calculates and adjusts cooking settings
- Timer - program the unit to turn on or off at any time
- Steam Clean & Self-Clean – keeps the oven cavity pristine
- Halogen Lights – clearly illuminate your foods
- Broil Element – upper element is perfect for preparing juicy meats
- 6 Rack Positions – flexible cooking options
- Sabbath Mode – for touch-free operation
Whirlpool’s entry is a true double oven offering 5 cu. ft. of space in each for a total 10 cu. ft. capacity. In addition to its smart capability, this model also sports another ultra-modern feature—Scan-to-Cook Technology. With this, all you have to do to get right settings every time is scan a frozen food barcode with your smartphone or tablet and send recommended or customized cooking instructions straight to your oven. And the black stainless-steel outer shell will glamour up any kitchen décor.
- Intuitive Touchscreen - learns, adapts, and suggests customized preset
- Smart Voice Assistant - control your kitchen using simple voice commands
- Multi-Step Cooking – use smart technology to send multiple cooking instructions to the oven
- Frozen Bake Technology –. automatically adjust preprogrammed settings
- True Convection Cooking - cook foods faster and more evenly
- Convection Conversion - easily get the right cooking temperature
- Nest Learning Thermostat - be alerted if your oven is left on while you're away
- Remote Start – heat your oven remotely via smart device
- Keep Warm Setting – offers consistent heating
- Self-Close Door - keep doors from shutting too quickly with the smooth, quiet mechanism
- Temperature Sensor - monitors oven temperature and adjusts the cooking elements
- Enhanced Troubleshooting - get immediate support for quick solutions
- Rapid Preheat - save time with 20% faster preheating
Whirlpool also takes the double oven category, offering more advanced features, more oven capacity, a smaller price tag, and the efficiency of convection cooking. However, the Samsung package does have the advantage of a microwave’s speed.
OVER THE RANGE MICROWAVES
Adding smart technology to a microwave makes cooking even more convenient. With the Samsung microwave, you can set popcorn inside and begin popping just when you want. The Whirlpool model allows you to control the oven with your voice via Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa.
This 30” microwave has everything to let you cook fast and effectively. It has 1.7 cu. ft. of room with 10 power levels, 950 cooking watts, and a three-speed 300 CFM fan for removing stuffy stovetop air. It also features a convection cooking option so you can microwave, bake, broil, and roast—all from one appliance. With the combination of convection cooking and microwave heating, food cooks faster and more evenly than a traditional microwave.
- Slim Fry - prepare fried food with reduced fat
- LED Cooktop Light – lets you see the entire cooktop
- Timer - program the unit to turn on or off at any time
- Ceramic Enamel Interior – easy to clean and scratch and stain resistant
- Steam Clean – loosens food particles and spills
Packed with features, this 30’ microwave oven offers 1.9 cu. ft. capacity, 1,000 watts of cooking power, and a 4-speed 400 CFM fan. Like their double oven, Whirlpools microwave offers Scan-to-Cook Technology that lets you scan frozen food barcodes and send instructions right to the unit. In addition to its numerous smart features, the microwave can also be voice-controlled with Google Home and Amazon Alexa. And the CleanRelease Non-Stick interior lets you clean up with the simple wipe of a damp paper towel.
- True Convection - helps you achieve perfectly even cooking results
- Multi-Step Cooking – end multiple cooking instructions to the oven
- Tap Touch Controls – sleek and easy to clean
- Backlit Controls - only appear when you need them
- Sensor Cooking - sensors track the cooking progress of your food and adjust cook times
- Steam Cooking (accessory available separately)– prepare rice, vegetables, and fish
- Turntable On/Off Option – rotate or don’t rotate to accommodate a wide range of dish sizes
- Add 30 Seconds Option – cook longer with the push of a finger
- Adjustable Cooktop Lighting – lets you see the stovetop fully
- AccuPop Cycle - it tracks the time between pops to prevent your popcorn from burning
- SteamClean Option - quickly loosen up spills with steam
- Hidden Vent – for a cleaner exterior appearance
- Charcoal Filter – purifies the air from the stovetop
- Sabbath Mode – easy, hands-off operation
- Remote Start – use your smart device to start cooking wherever you are
This category isn’t remotely close, with the Whirlpool offering far more smart features as well as more fan and oven power along with slightly more capacity. However, it also costs a bit more than the Samsung—but it is certainly worth it.
A smart kitchen package offers the latest technology to connect your entire kitchen to your device. Samsung’s smart Family Hub system is a one-stop wonder that unites all the tech in your home so you can connect with everything through the refrigerator touchscreen. And the four-piece Whirlpool package will make your kitchen virtually 100% smart for complete control and remote monitoring.
This three-piece smart package includes a 36" French Door refrigerator, 30" gas range and a 24" built in fully integrated dishwasher in stainless steel.
- Wi-Fi-enabled LCD Touchscreen - cameras send a picture of the inside of your fridge
- Counter Depth – the refrigerator’s shallow depth lets is cleanly fit with counters
- FlexZone Drawer – provides easy access and four temperature settings
- Twin Cooling System – separate refrigerator and freezer condensers
- Energy Star - Saves energy, saves you money. and saves the environment
- External Water and Ice Dispenser – fresh, pure ice and water anytime
- Two Crisper Drawers – superior storage for all your fruits and vegetables
- Adjustable Shelves – customize your refrigerator storage setup
- LED Lighting – gently brightens up the fridge interior
Gas Range Features:
- Delay Start - set your oven to begin cooking on your schedule up to 24 hours ahead
- Soft Close Dual Door – gently and slowly closes the oven door
- Convection Cooking – provides thorough and even cooking
- Dual Doors - hinged in the middle, so you only need to open the half you need
- Flex Duo Oven - cook two different dishes at different temperatures simultaneously
- Storage Drawer – keep your pots and pans under the oven
- Express60 - finishes dishes that don’t need intensive cleaning faster
- Adjustable Rack Height– lets the dishwasher accommodate taller dish or glassware
- WaterWall Technology - evenly distributed high-pressure water cleans dishes thoroughly
- Zone Booster – customize you dishwashing to target hard-to-clean items
- Energy Star - Saves energy and the earth
PRICE: : $4,251.40*
This four-piece smart kitchen package includes a 36" French Door refrigerator, 30" gas range, 30" wall mount recirculating hood and 18" built in full console dishwasher in stainless steel.
- Fingerprint Resistant Stainless Steel- anti-fingerprint coating keeps it clean
- Adaptive Defrost - saves more energy by defrosting only when necessary
- Accu-Chill - cools your food quickly for better freshness
- Produce Drawer - FreshFlow produce preserver creates the perfect storage environment
- LED Interior Lighting – bright and energy efficient
- Interior Water Dispenser -conveniently located for easy access to ice-cold filtered water.
- Gallon-Size Door Bin - holds milk containers, two-liter bottles and pitchers
- Humidity-Controlled Crisper Bins - with selectable humidity levels
- Energy Star – less energy, less cost
Gas Range Features
- SpeedHeat Burner – generates high heat needed to sear and boil quickly
- True Convection Cooking – distributes heat evenly throughout the oven
- Frozen Bake Technology - cook frozen favorites like pizza and lasagna faster
- Center Oval Burner - easily fit large griddles and other longer cookware
- Cast Iron Grates - designed for you to easily slide pots and pans
- AquaLift Self-Cleaning Technology - odor-free cleaning without harsh chemicals in only 50 minutes
- Dishwasher Safe Filter - stainless steel filter is easily removed for quick cleaning.s
- 400 CFM – powerful air removal
- Low dBA - runs quietly to keep your home peaceful
- Heated Dry Option - accelerates the drying process
- Stainless Steel Tub - more durable, quieter, and cleaner than plastic
- Energy Star – saves energy and money
In this category, it’s a split decision. The Samsung kitchen has the definite edge on modern smart features, but the value and savings of the Whirlpool package also make it quite attractive, including a hood and still coming at a much lower price.
This 36” freestanding French Door model from Samsung carries the very latest and most useful features you’re going to find in a smart refrigerator. It offers 26.5 cu. ft. total capacity with a refrigerator capacity of 17.9 cu. ft. and freezer capacity: 8.6 cu. ft. This unit has the all-encompassing Family Hub program, which includes Wi-Fi enabled LCD touchscreen, providing you with 3 built-in cameras that take a picture of the inside of your fridge so you know what you need, and allowing you order groceries online from the touchscreen. It is also Bixby enabled to easily monitor and control your refrigerator temperature remotely with your smartphone.
As you can see, Samsung automatically wins in the category simply because Whirlpool doesn’t manufacture any smart refrigerators at this time. But that can’t take away from the Samsung model’s fantastic range of seriously advanced features that will truly make this fridge the center of a modern home.
*Prices may fluctuate due to discounts, promotions, or sales events. Click "VIEW LATEST PRICE" to see the up-to-date price of the item.
When push comes to shove, it looks like Whirlpool took the majority of categories, making them the superior brand in the smart kitchen appliance market—though Samsung took enough categories to keep it a close contest. At least that’s how the experts at Appliances Connection see it. But how about you, the consumer? Do you think we’re right? And if not, what experiences have you had with these brands to give you some knowledge we don’t? Let us know by leaving your comment, questions, or suggestions below.
How good are Samsung appliances?
Quite good. Samsung has garnered a reputation as one of the more dependable appliance brands over decades of development and technological innovation, as seen above.
Who makes Whirlpool appliances?
Whirlpool products are made by the Whirlpool Corporation, which also manufacturers other brands such as Maytag, KitchenAid, JennAir, and Amana.
What color appliances are in for 2020?l
Stainless steel is still going strong as a consumer favorite. But there are a full palette choices to choose from available from different brands if you want a custom-color kitchen for yourself.