A washer dryer combo is a front loading washing machine and a condenser clothes dryer combined into a single appliance. This choice from today's array of laundry room appliances is the same size as an equivalent stand-alone washer, yet does the job of a washer and dryer set. A washer dryer combo differs from a stackable washer and dryer. Neither takes up any more floor space than a single, standard laundry room appliance. Both types of small space appliances, are desired by not only apartment dwellers, but by anyone who wants to create more space in their laundry room or designated laundry space in a kitchen, bath, or mudroom.
Choosing compact appliances like these is the right decision for many. Washer dryer combos and compact washers and dryers, today, are both manufactured with new technologies like those found in the latest standard-sized washer and dryer sets. The construction of modern small space appliances for washing clothes feature continuously updated technologies like smart sensors, sanitize cycles, steam settings, and Wi-Fi connectivity. Purchasing a washer dryer combo may be the best action you could take to modernize and create ample space in your laundry room or wherever you've set up a laundry space. But only you can determine whether the design of a washer dryer combo is right for your home. That's why we've put together this list of some of the best dryer combo units, followed by some washer and dryer combo pros and cons.
LG's reputation for making powerful, smart appliances certainly extends to this 27-in. washer/dryer combo. With 4.5 cu. ft. of capacity, it's one of the most spacious ones we offer. It can handle even the largest loads of laundry. You can choose from 14 wash cycles using the knob, the LG ThinQ® app on your smartphone, Google Assistant, or Amazon Alexa. The TrueBalance™ anti-vibration system keeps the easy-loading NeveRust™ stainless steel tub from jostling, and ColdWash™ technology provides powerful cleaning even with cold water. The SenseClean™ System, meanwhile, uses sensors to manage your laundry, reducing damage to your clothes, and 6Motion™ technology combines six unique wash motions to maximize performance.
This 24-in. compact washer and dryer combo comes from Summit, and it's another one of the best on the market. With 2.7 cu. ft. of interior space, you can fit a full-size load of laundry, while five temperature settings let you optimize each load for what you're washing. The 16 wash cycles include one for washing wool, another for delicate items like silk, and even a setting for baby clothes. You can use the digital display to monitor the machine's status and how long it will take to dry your clothes. Even better, the detergent dispenser has spaces for prewash detergent and fabric softener as well as regular laundry detergent.
With 1.95 cu. ft. of capacity in a stainless steel drum that spins at 1,400 RPM, this 24-in. washer and dryer from Blomberg is one of the most powerful ones we have available. With 16 total wash programs to choose from, including Spin + Drain, Baby, and Sanitize, you can handle a huge variety of fabrics. Unique to Blomberg appliances is the unit's Wash and Wear cycle, which lets you get a small load clean and dry in just one hour. This washer-dryer combo even includes a delay start option, allowing you to load it at your convenience and set the load to finish anytime you want.
This washer and dryer combination from Equator packs a lot of cleaning power into a width of just 24 inches! It automatically weighs your clothes before washing them, ensuring that it uses just the right amount of water. A similar group of sensors ensures that it will dry your clothes quickly without adding expenses to your electric bill. Unlike many washer and dryer combos, this unit comes with an exhaust fan that pairs with the turbo blower to get your clothes dry even faster. Meanwhile, the automatic Wrinkle Guard function turns the stainless steel drum upside down every five minutes once the drying cycle is complete. This helps prevent your clothes from wrinkling, and it turns off after eight hours (or as soon as you open the door).
The final entry on our list of the best washer and dryer combos is this All-In-One unit that comes from Whirlpool. At 27 in. wide and with 4.5 cu. ft. of drum capacity, it's a full-size unit that's more than capable of handling a large family's needs. Even better, it offers an astounding 41 wash cycles to choose from (including Cold Wash, Quick Wash, Steam Clean, and Clean Washer with affresh®). With the Load & Go™ XL detergent dispenser, you can go up to 30 loads without refilling your detergent, or you can use the single load dispenser if you decide to change things up. The dry cycle includes a 12-hour FanFresh® option, intermittently tumbling your clothes for up to 12 hours after your laundry is done. The best part is that the appliance is ENERGY STAR® certified to use less water and energy than comparable non-certified units.
Washer Dryer Combo Pros and Cons
Washer dryer combos provide many benefits. Here are three of the most important.
- Small Footprint In Your Home - With one less appliance taking up space, a washer/dryer combo can help you create a comfortable and convenient area to do laundry even in tight spaces.
- High Max Spin Speeds - Most washer/dryer combo units exceed 1,100 RPM. A higher spin speed means less time spent waiting for laundry to dry. High spin speed is especially important for prompt drying of towels, sheets, and casual clothing.
- Gentle Washing Thanks to a Front Load Design - To accommodate the design of a typical dryer, washer/dryer combos are all front load models. Front load washers use less water, yet clean clothes better with a minimal amount of detergent. They drain water faster and with greater efficiency. Thus, they not only save energy and reduce environmental impact - front load washers provide gentle washing conditions that prevent wear and tear on fabric.
Washer dryer combos are a wonderfully innovative and valued laundry room appliance. They're perfect for those with limited space and families of small to moderate sizes.
There are some considerations that may not make them the best choice for every family. Explore the following points to make certain that a washer dryer combo is the right appliance for your laundry room requirements.
- Low Capacity Limits the Size of Wash Loads - The main drawback of space-saving compact washer dryer units is that they aren't ideal for large families. Most washer/dryer combos are 24-in. units. Their designs limit the size of the wash loads they can accommodate. Thus, more washing cycles will be needed to clean the laundry generated by a household with many family members than the number of cycles required by a standard washer dryer set.
- Longer Laundry Sessions - You cannot run washing and drying cycles simultaneously with a washer dryer combo, so the entire laundry process will be much more time consuming if you have a large volume of laundry on a regular basis. This is another reason to consider a conventional, standard size washer dryer set if you have a large family. However, washer and dryer combo sets are evolving, with LG recently introducing the WashTower™, a stacked laundry center with a centralized control panel and two separate tubs if you have the space.
- Malfunctions Impede Both Washing and Drying - If something goes wrong with one unit of a separate washer and dryer set, you can continue washing or drying until the other unit is repaired. With a combined washer dryer model, a malfunction will interrupt both processes. That means you could potentially be left without any laundry capabilities until you can schedule a service call (which is not even guaranteed to solve the problem). Washer dryer combos solve space problems for many. They clean clothes more efficiently with less energy. These pros and cons should help you determine whether this small space appliance is right for your home.
Do washer dryer combinations require an air vent?
No. That's another perk. A ventless washer dryer combo unit employs a condensation drying process. Condensation drying as opposed to a traditional flow-through method provides the convenience of non-vented operation. This allows the unit to be placed most anywhere. The process is also gentler to your clothes.
How does condensation drying work?
Hot air is forced into the outer chamber. A condensation process is utilized to cool the air and condense the water vapor from the fabric of the clothing inside the tub. The appliance then makes use of cold water during the drying cycle to support the condensation process within the condensing chamber. Then water is flushed out the drain hose to a sink or drainage line. Condensation drying generally takes a bit more time than a conventional flow through system, but higher RPM speeds help expedite the process.
Do washer dryer combos work?
Washer dryer combos work just as well as any other laundry units. All functions and features are consolidated into a single appliance to accommodate smaller spaces in your home.