Outdoor kitchens are an increasingly popular addition to modern homes. Usually, outdoor kitchen setups are furnished with grills, outdoor appliances such as outdoor wine coolers and refrigerators, smokers, and even outdoor TVs. But is an outdoor kitchen the next step for your home? The experts at Appliances Connection are here with a selection of the pros and cons of outdoor kitchens so you can make the most informed decision as you build or remodel your home. We’ve even included some top appliance picks to provide inspiration for your next outdoor kitchen remodeling project!
Pros of Outdoor Kitchens:
- Customize Your Own Outdoor Kitchen Setup: With an outdoor kitchen, the sky is the limit when it comes to design choices. Outdoor appliances such as grills are an obvious choice: Lynx in particular is well-known for its liquid propane and natural gas grills, and you can even get outdoor appliance packages that come with grills, side burners, and compact outdoor refrigerators. With packages like these, you can customize your outdoor kitchen to your exact specifications. If you want a large choice of outdoor kitchen refrigerators, take a look at Coyote: their refrigerators are built with 304 grade stainless steel to handle any weather conditions, and you can choose between freestanding and built-in options. It isn't just the outdoor appliances that you can customize, though. By building an outdoor kitchen, you get to control everything from the size of the grill cutout to the material of the countertops.
- Spacious Outdoor Storage for Cookware, Tools, and Food: In an indoor kitchen, you are naturally limited by the size and layout of the room. On the other hand, you have nearly unlimited space in an outdoor kitchen: this means that you can increase your ability to store kitchen accessories accordingly. Coyote even offers dedicated outdoor storage drawers in premium stainless steel, for professional-style storage of food and cookware.
- Great Entertainment and Resale Value: Whether you entertain a lot of guests or you're looking to add to the resale value of your home, an outdoor kitchen can be a great investment for you. With an outdoor kitchen entertainment area, you can cook and socialize while enjoying the weather with your guests. You can also cook at high heat without making your home uncomfortable for your guests. Additionally, having an outdoor kitchen is a great way to increase the resale value of your home if you ever decide to sell it. Recent studies reveal that 17% of homebuyers prioritized outdoor space upgrades when buying their new home, so having an outdoor kitchen may mean your house sells faster and for more money.
If you’re not sure where to start when it comes to planning an outdoor kitchen remodel, here are a couple of expert picks that are both stylish and built for years of outdoor use.
A built-in grill is the most important aspect of your outdoor kitchen, and this grill from Hestan offers high performance burners and other great features that make cooking a joy.
This 42" built-in gas grill has powerful 25,000 BTU high-performance Trellis burners plus a multipurpose infrared rotisserie burner for intense heat. Diamond cut grates and warming racks distribute heat evenly and are designed for long-lasting durability. You will appreciate the heavy duty Horizon hood which is spring-assisted, allowing it to lift easily and stay in the desired place. When you lift the hood, motion-activated stadium lights illuminate the cooking area, so you can clearly see your food, even at night. This Hestan gas grill is proudly made in the USA.
Keep food and drinks chilled in a Summit outdoor refrigerator, which can be built into your outdoor kitchen and is panel ready, so you can match it perfectly to your cabinetry and other outdoor appliances, if desired.
Check out the Summit 24" built-in or freestanding outdoor refrigerator. It is ADA-compliant and sized to be installed under ADA-compliant countertops. However, the height is adjustable, making it possible to install it under taller countertops, too. Durable, weatherproof construction makes it ideal for your outdoor kitchen. The refrigerator drawers are removable for easier cleaning. They also include a removable basket and two adjustable drawer dividers for better organization of your food. Easily manage the temperatures of the drawers using digital controls. Fan-forced cooling keeps temperatures consistent throughout the interior, and a temperature alarm alerts you when temperatures are not where you set them. This ENERGY STAR® certified appliance is 100% CFC-free.
A Lynx pizza oven cooks pizza quickly and is designed to be built into your outdoor kitchen, giving you more reasons to take pizza night outside.
This 30" Napoli pizza oven from Lynx features a variable infrared heating system, allowing you to preheat quickly to 700°F. A concrete refractory dome provides even, radiant heat, so you don't have to rotate your pizza. A concrete, pull-out cooking surface makes it very easy to put the pizza in the oven and take it out again. The body of the pizza oven is made of stainless steel and is seamlessly welded for strong, durable construction. Elegantly-illuminated knobs are a beautiful touch to this Lynx pizza oven, and you will also appreciate the lighting on the inside of the oven, allowing you to see your pizza as it cooks. This built-in pizza oven is made in the USA.
For plenty of clear ice on a hot day, you need a reliable and feature-loaded U-Line outdoor ice maker.
This 15" outdoor ice maker from U-Line makes up to 55 lbs. of ice per day and stores up to 25 lbs. of ice. A digital touchpad control allows you to select the density of the ice with the U-Choose™ feature. You can temporarily suspend ice making for up to three hours using the silent setting. Bright LED lighting illuminates the white interior, and the exterior is made of durable stainless steel, including the handle. The door is reversible, giving you more options for installation. An indicator alert lets you know when the ice maker needs cleaning, and fortunately, the cleaning process is one of the easiest clear ice maker cleaning processes in the industry. This outdoor ice maker can be built-in or freestanding, and it has adjustable legs.
A Coyote smoker will complete your outdoor kitchen setup, allowing you to cook food with a delectable, smoky flavor that can't be beat.
This Asado Smoker by Coyote has 254 sq. in. cooking area. The heat resistant ceramic reduces the risk of cracking when you use very high temperatures to cook your food. Adjustable venting allows you to manage the temperature precisely for better outcomes every time, and the 304 stainless steel smoking grate is durable and diffuses heat well. You can use this luxury Coyote smoker for smoking, grilling, and searing, making it a great addition to any outdoor kitchen. Its unique black oval shape will look splendid with the rest of your outdoor appliances.
Cons of Outdoor Kitchens:
- Custom Designs Mean Higher Price Points: The benefits of outdoor kitchens come with some trade-offs, and the main one for many homeowners is the cost. According to Angi, most outdoor kitchen prices can range from $5,000 to $23,000, depending on exactly what outdoor appliances you choose to install. Some of this comes down to extending electrical or gas hookups to the outdoor kitchen site, so it isn't just the cost of the appliances you have to think about. However, this doesn't make outdoor kitchens a bad investment: if you're going to use yours, it can be well worth the money.
- Limited Adjustment Once Built: This issue with outdoor kitchens is the same as indoor kitchens. Once you have a space for a grill or an outdoor refrigerator, any replacement appliance has to fit the cutout. With a full outdoor kitchen, you lose some of your ability to customize individual appliances. You can reduce the impact of this issue by getting outdoor kitchen appliance packages: Hestan in particular has plenty to choose from.
Can you grill under a pergola?
Yes, in general you can grill under a pergola or in a gazebo. You'll have to check with the manufacturer of your pergola as well as the owner's manual of your grill if you want to be absolutely sure.
How long do outdoor kitchens last?
Outdoor kitchens can last up to 10 years or more, especially if they're well maintained.