- How to buy a Toilet
- American Flag Cake
- Dishwasher Graphic Guide!
- I Furnished My Laundry Room?Now What?
- The 7 Best Kitchen Appliances to Give as Wedding Gifts
- The Best Home Appliances for Apartment Living
- How to Find the Best Deals Online?
- Do You Repair or Replace Your Appliances?
- Ask Yourself These Five Questions Before Buying an Appliance
- Should You Buy A Washer-Dryer Combo?
- To Steam, or Not to Steam?
- The Benefits of Buying Kitchen Appliance Packages
- Freezer or Refrigerator -- You Choose!
- What Happens Inside a Dishwasher
- Why Is My Glassware Cloudy?
- What?s Most Important in a Kitchen?s Design
- Best Apartment Size Appliances Every Household Should Have
- What Do Dishwasher Noise Levels Even Mean?
- How to Host a Barbecue in the Comfort of Your Kitchen
- How to Choose the Right Grill for Your Outdoor Kitchen
- Stainless Steel and Fighting the Fingerprints
- What to Know When Buying Your Appliances Online
- Appliances Connection Announces Mobile Site
- How to Care for Cast Iron Appliances
- Kitchen Remodel Tips
- Black Friday Deals at Appliances Connection
- Life is Good for LG Washers
- Do Smart Appliances Really Help Make Things Simpler? My Experience
- What Makes Smart Appliances, 'smart'?
- Appliance Connection?s Designer Spotlight : Klein Kitchen and Bath
- 5 Tips for Choosing Your First Smart Appliance
- Transform Your Kitchen into a Work of Art with GE Artistry
- The Bosch Washer Promise
- The Samsung French-Door Revolution
- Home of the Future: Smarter and More Energy Efficient
- Whirlpool Dishwasher with AccuSense
- 5 Benefits of Owning a Curved TV
- Energy Star Certified Commercial Foodservice Equipment
- To Clean or Not to Clean
- Are You Washing Laundry the Right Way?
- Introducing the GE Cafe French-door Wall Oven
- Refrigerator Buying Tips
- Should You Purchase an Extended Warranty?
- Swash Fits Your Lifestyle and Your Space
- Do You Need a Smart Home or a Thoughtful Home?
- Frigidaire FGVU17F8QF: Is it a Refrigerator or a Freezer?
- Samsung Brings Their A Game ? Top Chef Collection
- 5 Father's Day Gifts Dad is Sure to Love
- Holy Smokes! It?s an Invisible TV!
- Welcome to the Diamond Life - LG Diamond Collection
- GE Caf? for the Serious Home Cook
- Ultimate Washer Buying Guide
- Electrolux IQ Touch EI30GF45QS
- Range Buying Guide
- Cooking Safely with Gas
- How to Extend the Life of Your Refrigerator
- 3 Ways to Clean Your Stainless Steel Appliances
- Is 2015 Year of the Black Stainless Steel Appliances?
- Food Handling 101
- Food Safety at the Grill
- Holiday Food Storage Safety
- How to eat safe while travelling!
- Memorial Day 2016 - LG Twinwash Sale
- AGA at AC: Labor Day Deals & Steals!
- Fall Recipes You Have to Try!
- Healthy Summer Recipes Using Your Smeg Appliances
- 4 Luxurious Kitchens In New York?s Most Expensive Homes
- 3 Beautiful Kitchen Ideas For Brooklyn Brownstones
- Home Theater and Audio Buying Guide
- Inside the Homes and Kitchens Of World Cup?s Top Soccer Stars
- The Savings Continue at Appliances Connection's 2018 Cyber Monday Sale
- An Evening of Cheerful Banter, Sumptuous Food, and New Appliance Features at a Fisher & Paykel Cooking Demonstration
- Five Distinctive Living Room Sets from Coaster
- Celebrate National Bagel Day with Bacon, Scallion, and Cream Cheese Filled Everything Bagel Bombs
- Robot Vacuum Buying Guide
- Appliances Connection Takes a Day Trip Touring the Good Housekeeping Institute and Miele Showroom Part 1
- Sarah Boone: Mother of the Modern Ironing Board
- Expert Opinion: Most Popular High-End Kitchen Packages
- Curved TV Buying Guide
- Looking For High Paying Affiliate Programs? Choose High-End Appliances
Sarah Boone: Mother of the Modern Ironing Board
A plurality of the most impactful innovators of home goods have been women. This comes as no surprise since, throughout most of modern history, domestic duties were seen as ?women?s work?. It makes sense that they would conceive of devices?to make their everyday tasks easier.
As a consequence of how little women have been valued in society, many household conveniences we take for granted have no credited inventor. This holds even truer for women of color. In this installment of Appliances Connection?s Black History Month Series, we?ll be looking at the visionary of the modern ironing board, Sarah Boone.
The Modern Ironing Board: Sarah Boone?s Early Life
Sarah Boone (nee Marshall) was born in Craven County, North Carolina, in 1832. Not much is known about her childhood. By some accounts, she was born into slavery. In 1847, at the age of 15, she was married to a freedman, James Boone (sometimes ?Boon?). If Sarah was enslaved, she was freed shortly after marriage under unknown circumstances as they were able to move to New Haven, Connecticut.
The Modern Ironing Board: A Wrinkled Dilemma
When the Boone family relocated, Sarah Boone took up dressmaking as a profession, according to New Haven records. In the course of her work, she encountered the dilemma of how to flatten out creases in the sleeves and bodies of women?s dresses. At the time, ironing was done either on a plain kitchen table or on a wooden plank propped between two chairs.
The Modern Ironing Board: Smoothing Out a Solution
After much experimentation, Sarah developed a design of a tapered board on a stand. On the tapered edge, one could drape a cylindrical segment of clothing. Rotating the fabric around the board while ironing, the sleeve or torso portion of a dress is completely smoothed. So distinct was her new board, she was issued US Patent #473,653 on April 26, 1892. Sarah Boone was one of the first African-American women to receive a patent for a device that can be found in many homes to this day.