Every year, household appliance manufactures release new dishwasher models with more and more modern features. But high-tech features don’t mean anything unless you have a reliable dishwasher in the first place.
After all, the dishwasher is arguably the hardest-working appliance in the kitchen, so it’s important that you can rely on the unit to perform time after time without worry, whether they’re budget-friendly or high-end and loaded with convenient features that won’t go on the fritz.. It’s all that stands between you, a scrub brush, and a sink full of dirty dishwater. But what is the most reliable dishwasher? And what do you want in a new dishwasher unit? It usually comes down to the brand and the build. Here, Appliances Connection has looked over our inventory of quality dishwashers and found a selection of models that are made to work and made to last.
So, if you want a dishwasher that won’t let you down when you need it, you may want to consider the following models…
When it comes to standards, German-based luxury brand Miele holds itself to stringent standards like no other company, building almost all of their products in their own factories with every single component also crafted by them. This assures their dishwashers are as durable as possible, with all of their products tested to last for up to 20 years. Appliances don’t get much tougher than that.
And Miele has recently continued their excellent track record with the release of their G7000 Series Dishwasher line, which this 24 Inch Smart Built-In Dishwasher represents nicely, making our list of the best Miele dishwashers. With Miele’s innovative AutoDos delivery system with an integrated PowerDisk feature, these are the world's first dishwasher that automatically dispenses detergent for up to one month. And with the new AutoStart feature and the Miele mobile app you can set the unit to automatically start at one or several pre-determined times. This is a high-end feature-laden unit that delivers in every way.
- Miele@mobile App – put the dishwasher to work at any time no matter where you are
- 12 Wash Cycles – perfectly match the wash cycle you need to your dishes
- ShopConn@ct – order Powerdisks with the push of a button on your phone
- 3D MultiFlex Tray – adjusts in every dimension for the ultimate utensil and dishware care
- Height-adjustable Glassware Rail – makes room for long-stemmed glassware
- Extra Dry Option – longer dry time and warmer rinse combine for perfectly dried items
- QuickIntenseWash – achieve the best possible cleaning and drying results for normally soiled dishware in 58 minutes
- MultiComfort Area – lower basket can hold larger items such as cutting boards and serving platters
Put simply, when you buy a Bosch dishwasher, you’re buying a top-tier product. Bosch dishwashers are built to the highest standards, with precision German engineering ensuring flawless performance, superior workmanship, and the latest in technological advancements—especially when it comes to quiet operation. Every dishwasher undergoes an astonishing 485 quality checks to ensure a long, dependable working life.
This 800 Series 24 Inch Built-In Dishwasher can tackle 15 place settings. The six wash cycles and five wash options for specific cleaning while operating at 44 dBA. Like all of these Bosch dishwashers, it utilizes PrecisionWash intelligent sensors to continually scan and check the progress of dishes throughout the cycle, go to work targeting every item of every load powerful jets from its precision spray arms. And to finish things off, an Extra Dry Option sanitizes 99.9% of bacteria and delivers superior drying results for the absolute in clean.
- RackMatic – easily adjusts to three different heights and up to nine separate rack positions to allow for bulkier items
- Half Load Option – reduces cycle time and water consumption when washing small, lightly soiled loads
- Flexible 3rd Rack – expandable wings and adjustable tines for ultimate flexibility
- CrystalDry Technology – transforms moisture into heat to get dishes 60% drier
- AquaStop Leak Protection System – shuts down operation and cuts off water
- ExtraScrub Option – increases pressure and temperature for intensive cleaning
- Speed60 – dirty to dry in about an hour
- Touch Control Technology – allows for quick cycle programming
- InfoLight – tells you when your dishwasher is running
- Energy Star – economical and environmental
Whirlpool has been manufacturing and developing friendly-priced appliances for decades, earning a position as an absolute mainstay in the industry. As for reliability? Puls—a national network of appliance technicians—took a member survey to rank the most reliable appliances—and Whirlpool came up #1. You can’t find a much better accolade than that.
Whirlpool’s reliability is matched by their practical, easy to use features you might expect of a higher-end unit such as a Sensor Cycle that automatically selects the right wash and dry settings for your load by using two separate sensors to measure temperature, soil level and load size during the prewash and wash cycles. A unique Third Level Rack opens up 35% more rack space for more dishes or hard to fit items. And Whirlpool’s In-Door Silverware Basket frees up rack space by easily fitting on the front of the lower rack or in the door.
- Total Coverage Spray Arm – cleans with twice the jets for more coverage and a smarter sequence of spray patterns
- Tap Touch Controls – fully integrated, easy to clean, easy to use
- 1-Hour Wash Cycle – gets the job done fast and done right
- Soil Sensor – adjusts the Normal cycle as needed to make sure dishes come out clean.
- Folding Tines – secure dishes or fold down to create space for larger items
- Silent Running – operates at a quiet 47 dBA
- Sani-Rinse Option – eliminates 99.99% of food and bacteria
- Cycle Status Indicator – display glows for wash, drain, drying, sanitized and clean along with the time remaining
- Energy Star – runs efficiently for long-term utility savings
When it comes to dishwashers, LG has absolutely established themselves as reliable, requiring much lower maintenance than many other manufacturers. And as a company, LG has been ranked #1 in customer satisfaction by the American Customer Satisfaction Index. That’s a lot of satisfied customers.
One of their latest models is a 24 Inch Smart Built-In Dishwasher packed with innovative features. It can hold a sizeable 15 place settings that will get a thorough clean from one of 10 wash cycles and nine options you can program with LG’s exclusive SmartThinQ technology that links with Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa for voice control of the unit. A QuadWash sprayer use four arms instead of two for total coverage. And for a extreme sterilized clean, LG's TrueSteam technology not only removes 99.9 percent of allergens but even the residue left by dead allergens.
- Smart/Wi-Fi Enabled – control and monitor your dishwasher via your smartphone
- LoDecibel Operation – unit works as an incredibly quiet 44 dBA
- PrintProof Stainless Steel – LG’s trademark protective coating lets you wipe away smudges with a dry cloth
- 3rd Rack – more space to fit everything including spatulas, spoons, tons and oversized utensils
- Energy Star – Saves energy, saves you money. and saves the environment.
GE is one of the oldest manufacturers of household appliances, becoming a global leader in the field by delivering goods that work hard and work well over time. This corporate quality was proven yet again in 2020 when GE dishwashers were ranked in the top three of appliance service technician website Puls member survey for which brand they would recommend. That’s an opinion you can trust.
A shining example of GE's high standards at a low price point is this 24” Built-In Pocket Handle Dishwasher with six wash cycles and a capacity of 12 place settings. This model features GE's top and bottom rack dual spray arm system gives you a thorough clean every time, as well as a heated drying system to get your dishes thoroughly dry by the end of the cycle. And an easy-touch adjustable upper rack is designed to accommodate tall glassware and 10.5" plates saving valuable room on the bottom racks for oddly shaped or bulkier items.
- Delay Start – program the unit to run up to 24 hours in advance
- Piranha Hard Food Disposer – pulverizes food particles and helps to prevent the wash arms clogging
- Cycle Status Indicators – let you know how the load is progressing
- National Sanitation Foundation – certifies that the Sanitize cycle removes 99.9% of common household bacteria
- Filtration System – removable, self-cleaning filter eliminates food particles, keeping dishes clean
- Energy Star Certified – low utility bills, low environmental impact
*Prices may fluctuate due to discounts, promotions, or sales events. Click "VIEW LATEST PRICE" to see the up-to-date price of the item.
And there you have our list of the five most reliable dishwashers for 2021. They all get the job done with their own array of features, options, and price points, and all they share a hardy reputation for dependable service over the years. But what else could they have? More importantly, what else could you use in a dishwasher? Leave a comment or suggestion below.
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below.
If you want to know more about purchasing a dishwasher explore our buyer’s guide here:
What is the best place to buy a dishwasher?
In all modesty, we believe that Appliances Connection is the best place to buy a dishwasher. And we’re not alone in that opinion. According to the extremely reputable consumer site The Spruce, we’re one of the best places to buy appliances in 2021. We’re not about to argue.
Is it worth fixing a dishwasher?BOLD
Whether a dishwasher is worth fixing depends on whether the extent of the repair—and possible future repairs—are going to cost you more in the long run than replacing the unit. If an initial repair seems to point to future fixes, and the appliance is approaching the end of its working life (typically around 10-13 years), it may be easier and less expensive to start looking for a new dishwasher.
What is the best month to buy a dishwasher?
The best month to buy a dishwasher is usually September or October. That’s when manufacturers roll out their new models and retailers must clear out the older merchandise to make room in their inventory.