- Best Ideas for Outdoor Patio Space
- New Samsung AddWash 27inch Front Load Washer
- Washer and Dryer Combo Appliances
- Alternative Design by ACME Furniture
- Grilling - Cast Iron Grates Versus Stainless Steel Grates
- The 7 Questions you MUST Ask When Purchasing a Dishwasher
- Best Wall Ovens - April 2016
- All About The Wall Oven
- What is the Difference Between Gas vs Electric vs Induction Cooktop/Ranges?
- Agitator or No Agitator
- Chest Freezer vs Upright Freezer
- The Best Dishwashers of April 2016
- Why You Need a Convection Oven
- Dishwashers vs. Hand Washing
- Is Your Air Conditioner Too Noisy?
- Appliances and Voltage
- Top Load Washer vs Front Load Washer
- Scavolini Designs in Our Showroom
- Built-In Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Picks
- Open vs. Sealed Burners
- Certification Marks
- Top Ten Storage Options For Wine Lovers
- Top 5 Appliance Features for a Busy Lifestyle
- Gas vs Dual Fuel Ranges
- Top 5 Cool Refrigerator Features You Should Know About
- Dishwasher Features and Their Importance
- Freestanding vs. Slide-in Ranges
- Brass vs. Aluminum Burners
- Viking - The Heart of the Kitchen
- Dorm Appliance Suggestions
- Remodeling a U-Shaped Kitchen
- Smart Appliances with App Connectivity
- Top 5 Wall Ovens of 2017
- Top Five Double Wall Ovens of 2017
- Top 5 Dishwashers of 2017
- Top Five Column Refrigerators for 2017
- Everything You Need to Know About Energy-Efficient Appliances
- Top 10 French Door Refrigerators of 2017
- The Best Microwave Drawers of 2017
- Top Five 48-Inch Range Ovens of 2017
- All About the Bosch 24-Inch Compact Laundry Pair
- Top 5 Wall Oven Microwave Combos of 2017
- Top Five 30 Inch Slide-In Ranges in 2017
- Which Range Should You Buy? Professional vs. Standard Ranges
- The Best Front Load Washers of 2017
- The Best HE Top Load Washers of 2017
- Furniture Care Series - Leather Furniture
- The Power of Steam - For Cooking, Cleaning, Laundry and Relaxation
- Internal Venting Vs. External Venting
- Washer Guide - Stackable Vs. Side-By-Side
- Top Ten 36-Inch Ranges of 2017
- Compact Appliances
- Anatomy of Appliances - Dishwashers
- The Best Large Capacity Front Load Washers of 2017
- Top 5 Coffee and Espresso Machines for Coffee Lovers
- Large Capacity Ovens
- Wall Ovens & Cooktop Combos - The New Range Replacement?
- The Best Appliance Finishes of 2017
- The Best Outdoor Grills of 2017
- The Best Compact Front-Loading Washers of 2017
- Remodeling an L-Shaped Kitchen
- How to Build a Luxury Kitchen for Less
- The Benefits Of Convection Ovens
- The Best Gas Ranges Under $1000
- Remodeling A Line Kitchen Layout
- A Guide to Specialty Ovens - Steam and Speed Ovens
- Vented Vs. Ventless Range Hoods
- Furniture Care Series Suede
- All About Built-in Dishwashers
- Freestanding Vs. Built-in Kitchen Appliances
- Flipper Kitchen Tips: How to Remodel Your Kitchen for a Profit
- Anatomy of Appliances - Wall Ovens
- Defrost Methods and How They Work
- A Guide to Maritime Appliances
- New Appliances From Thermador - Column Refrigeration
- Top Ten 24-inch Ranges of 2020
- New in 2017 - Superiore Appliances
- Child Safety Features in Appliances
- Smart Self-Diagnosing Appliances
- A Guide to Building An Outdoor Kitchen
- Energy Star Appliances
- La Cornue and Appliances Connection - An Inevitable Pairing
- How to Get a $2,000 Kitchen on a $600 Budget
- BlueStar Fall And Winter Color Preview
- Ashley Furniture - Powered Comfort
- The Top 5 Sub-Zero Refrigerators of 2017
- Appliances Connection and eCommerce - Shaking Industry Foundations
- Anatomy of Appliances - Refrigerators
- Anatomy of Appliances - Ranges
- Liebherr - Just Refrigeration
- Anatomy of Appliances - Washers
- Furniture Care - Wood
- Anatomy of Appliances - Dryers
- Black Friday Sale 2017
- Vented Vs. Ventless Dryers
- 30-Inch Ranges from Thermador and Wolf
- An In-Depth Look Into The GE Monogram Collection
- Stackable Washer and Dryer Sets - Top 5 for 2019
- Fisher Paykel 24 Inch Washer & Dryer Set
- French Door Vs. Side-By-Side Refrigerators
- The Best Way To Preserve Wine
- Furniture Care - Velvet
- Bosch Smart Appliances with Home Connect
- Holiday Gift Guide for Treating Yourself
- A Holiday Gift Guide for Busy Professionals
- A Holiday Gift Guide For Home Chefs
- Introducing BlueStar's New Chef-Inspired Electric Kitchen!
- Holiday Recipes for Microwaves
- Holiday Recipes For Ranges
- Six Best Speed Ovens
- Holiday Gift Guide for Home Entertainers
- Holiday Recipes For Wall Ovens
- Jenn-Air Appliances Guide
- An Eco-Friendly Holiday Gift Guide
- Holiday Gift Guide For New Homeowners
- Holiday Gift Guide for Home-Based Food Businesses
- A Family Friendly Holiday Gift Guide
- Top 5 Napoleon Fireplaces
- ADA Compliance for Public Restrooms
- Home Bar Essentials
- How to Upgrade Your Home on a Budget for 2018
- Custom Color Appliances
- The Best Side By Side Refrigerators of 2019
- Tips for a New You in 2018
- An Honest Review of the Viking VGIC53014BSS Range
- Viking Rebates | Luxury Kitchens for Less
- Induction Vs. Gas Vs. Electric
- The Best Washer and Dryer Sets. Period.
- GE Premium Appliance Finishes
- What's the Best Appliance Finish for your Kitchen in 2019?
- Miele Dishwasher Rebate Offer
- 36 Inch Freestanding Gas Ranges: Bertazzoni vs. Dacor vs. Tecnogas Superiore
- Top 5 Outdoor Undercounter Refrigerator Drawers
- Top 5 Steam Wall Ovens of 2019
- Should I Repair or Replace My Appliances?
- High Efficiency vs. Traditional Washers | Pros & Cons
- Enhancing Home Decor with Indirect LED Lighting
- French Door Refrigerator Comparison | Jenn-Air vs. Sub-Zero
- Quiz | Which Household Appliance Are You?
- The Quietest Dishwashers of 2019
- Laundry Symbols Guide
- Pitfalls of Rent-to-Own Appliances and Furniture
- Top Five 48 Inch Ranges of 2019
- Top 10 French Door Refrigerators 2018
- Top 5 Washers With No Agitator 2018
- The Best 36 Inch Induction Cooktops of 2019
- The Resurgence of Farm Kitchen Sinks
- The Best Kitchen Appliances Packages of 2019
- Top 5 Best GE Dishwashers 2019
- Top 5 Best Counter-Depth Refrigerators 2019
- Top 5 Best Wall Oven Microwave Combos 2018
- Microwave Drawers - Top 5 of 2019
- Top 5 GE Refrigerators 2019
- All About 24 Inch Compact Washers
- Top 10 Dishwashers of 2019
- Top 5 30-Inch Slide-In Ranges of 2018
- How to Stay Cool and Still Save Money
- Top 10 Double Wall Ovens of 2019
- Sharp Microwaves | A Glimpse Of The Future
- Fill Your Home with the Finer Appliances in Life
- Official Guide to Maintaining Your Laundry Room
- 30 Inch Professional Gas Ranges - Top 5 for 2019
- Top Five 48-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2018
- Are Wolf Professional Ranges Worth It?
- Top Five 30-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2018
- When and Why You Need a New Washer Hose?
- Horizontal Kitchens - On the Rise in 2018
- How to Feel Like a Professional Chef At Home
- Dual Fuel Ranges - Wolf Vs GE Monogram
- New for 2018 - Speed Queen's Top Loading Washers and Matching Dryers
- Top Five 36-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2019
- The Five Most Reliable Luxury Front Load Washers for 2019
- Dream Kitchens with Custom Color Panel Ready Refrigerators
- Top Five 60-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2019
- Comparing LG and Samsung Kitchen Appliance Packages
- Power Cords and Hard Wiring for New Cooking Appliances
- Top Five ADA Compliant Ranges for 2019
- Your Definitive Dual Fuel Range Guide for 2018
- Top Five ADA Compliant Refrigerators for 2019
- Top Five ADA Compliant Wall Ovens for 2019
- Review of the Napoleon Prestige PRO Series 77-Inch Grill
- Introducing Miele's New and Improved W1 T1 line of Washers and Dryers
- Whirlpool's Sunset Bronze Finish is On the Horizon
- An In-Depth Look at Viking Dishwashers
- A Look at Friedrich Air Conditioners - Luxury and Toughness in HVAC
- Your Definitive Guide to Luxury ADA Compliant Kitchen Appliances for 2018
- Best Built-In Gas Grills for 2019
- The Toto Neorest 750H Toilet - Indulgence in the Bathroom
- An In-Depth Look at the LG LMXS30776D Refrigerator
- Frigidaire - Celebrating a Century of Reliability
- Whirlpool Gas Cooktops | An In-Depth Look
- Right Arm Facing/Left Arm Facing Sectional Sofas - How to Tell the Difference
- May is Maytag Month at Appliances Connection
- A Look at the Maytag MEW9630FZ 30-Inch Electric Double Wall Oven
- LG PuriCare | Fresh Air In Your Home
- Why You Need the Miele CVA6405 24-Inch Built-In Coffee
- Appliances Connection vs. Discount Appliance Stores
- An In-Depth Look at the New Frigidaire FFBN1721TV 33-Inch French Door Refrigerator
- The Best Undercounter Wine Coolers for 2019
- The Best Luxury Outdoor Furniture Sets of 2018
- The Dacor Modernist Collection - Modern Can Be Timeless
- SMEG Kitchen Appliance Package Overview
- Fulgor Milano Kitchen Appliance Package Overview
- Frymaster Commercial Fryers Overview
- Blodgett Commercial Ovens Overview
- The Top Five Dual Fuel Double Ovens of 2018
- An In-Depth Look at the Miele 888026 Three-Piece Kitchen Appliance Package
- Whirlpool Sunset Bronze - Unique Beauty and Ultimate Dependability
- The Refrigerator Buying Guide for 2019
- Top Five ADA Compliant Cooktops for 2018
- Hestan Smart Induction Cooktops | Pushing the Limits of Innovation
- An In-Depth Look At A Viking Four-Piece Kitchen Appliance Package
- The Range Hood Buying Guide for 2019
Anatomy of Appliances - Washers
In this latest installment of the recurring series, Anatomy of Appliances, we will be exploring the components with which your washing machine is comprised. There are several types of washers: front-load, top-load, agitator or no agitator, etc. At Appliances Connection, we strive to bring you the best of every major appliance category and in doing so, hope to keep you informed on the important factors involved in buying the proper machines. Building a comprehensive knowledge of the components of your appliances can help you discern common issues from major ones and decide whether you need a replacement or simply a repair. Below we will dissect the common parts of modern washing machines. Be sure to check out the rest of the Anatomy series on Appliances Connection's extensive Learning Center!
Agitator - Rotates to move clothes around inside the spin basket during a washing. Mounted inside the spin-basket.
Basket Drive - Holds the brake mechanism for the spin basket and rotates the spin basket during a wash. Located on top of the motor assembly.
Clutch Band - Creates friction between the clutch hub and the clutch lining to make the clutch assembly rotate and release the break.
Clutch Assembly - Releases the braking mechanism to allow the basket to spin.
Dispenser - Small mechanism for dispensing detergent.
Door Boot - A gasket to prevent leaks located between the door and the drum of a washer.
Door Lock - Prevents the front-load washer door from being opened during a cycle and uses a switch to signal to the control system the status of the washer door.
Door Strike - Pushes into door latch when closed and is part of the door lock system.
Drain Pump - Removes water from the washer during a cycle.
Drive Belt - Connects the drive motor and large drive pulley on the wash tub to create spinning and tumbling motion during a cycle.
Drive Block - Rotates the spin basket during a cycle and is located on the top of the spin tube.
Drive Motor - Provides force to rotate the spin basket and the agitator.
Drive Pulley - Rotates via the drive belt and motor to spin the basket during a cycle.
Electronic Temperature Control Board - Detects the temperature of water entering the tub and controls the water inlet valves to accurately fill the tub with the proper temperature water.
Gearcase - Drives the agitator, impeller, and spin basket by shifting drive shaft and spinning the basket.
Heating Element - Heats water before use during a wash cycle.
Impeller - Low-profile plate in the bottom of a non-agitator washer with a gentle wash action and less water/energy usage.
Leveling Feet - Used for adjusting the washing machine’s height to prevent vibration.
Lid Switch - Detects whether the washer lid is open or closed as a safety precaution. Prevents activation of washing machine while lid is open.
Main Electronic Control Board - Controls the timing and execution of washer functions.
Motor Control Board - Monitors and controls the motor speed during tumble and spin cycles.
Motor Coupler - Protects the drive motor from damage in the event of a malfunction.
Outer Wash Tub - Contains the inner spin basket and seals in water to prevent leaks.
Shifter Assembly - Shifts the drive motor system between spinning and agitation modes during a cycle.
Shock Absorber - Absorbs the vibrations and movements of the washing machine to prevent damage.
Spin Basket - Perforated tub that holds laundry during a cycle. Located inside the outer tub and connects to the drive motor system to rotate during washes.
Temperature Selector Switch - Mechanism to set the temperature of the water in the washer.
Timer - Controls the wash cycle functions and connects via internal motors to send proper signals to energize appropriate components for use.
User Interface Board - Contains various buttons and knobs for selecting functions and options for a wash cycle.
Water Inlet Valve Assembly - Controls flowing of water into the washer with a solenoid coil.
Water Supply Hose - Carries water from plumbing to the washing machine.
Water-Level Pressure Switch - Senses and controls the water level in the outer wash tub. Shuts off the water when the washer is full.
GE - GTW750CPLDG - GE pushes to the forefront of the laundry market with its latest 27" smart top-load washer. Enjoy modern convenience by utilizing the built-in wi-fi connectivity that allows you to control and monitor the status of your laundry. Additionally, GE has included their state-of-the-art SmartDispense technology to make laundry day that much easier. The SmartDispense feature can hold up to 75 oz. of detergent and the appropriate amount will be automatically dispensed depending on the settings and functions you select. Pour in your favorite detergent and forget about changing it for up to two months!
LG - WM9000HWA - LG continues to impress with their advanced laundry solutions. This 29" smart front load washer is packed to the gills with modern technology to make laundry day a cinch. As with many of LG's current suite of appliances, this washer model is equipped with SmartThinq which allows you to control and monitor your laundry from your smartphone at the click of a button. You'll also find this model employs LG's patented Direct Drive Motor which uses fewer moving parts, operates at peak efficiency, and is quieter than the competition.
Fisher Paykel - WH2424F1 - Fisher Paykel is proud to debut its latest 24" front load washer and it does not disappoint. This energy star certified washing machine is also one of the quietest thanks to the SmartDrive direct drive motor technology. Without the noisy, heavy components of washers past, this machine creates fewer vibrations which equals less noise. We've all experienced the mid-wash discovery of a rogue garment that avoided the laundry basket. With Fisher Paykel's Add A Garment function on this washing machine, you'll be able to momentarily pause your cycle to add any of those pesky items mid-wash.
Whirlpool - WTW7500GW - Whirlpool is already a powerhouse in the appliance industry with their comprehensive lineup of appliances in every major category. Their new 28" top load washer features unmatched capacity and cleaning capabilities. The ColorLast cycle function uses a precise combo of gentle washing, optimal temperatures, and appropriate time sequences to keep your clothing's colors vibrant. Furthermore, the Adaptive Wash technology with Active Bloom wash action improves clothes washing. The technology senses the size of the wash load and adapts water levels and wash functions for the perfect cleaning experience. Your clothes will look and feel fresh and as clean as the day you bought them!