- Best Ideas for Outdoor Patio Space
- New Samsung AddWash 27inch Front Load Washer
- Washer and Dryer Combo Appliances
- Alternative Design by ACME Furniture
- Grilling - Cast Iron Grates Versus Stainless Steel Grates
- The 7 Questions you MUST Ask When Purchasing a Dishwasher
- Best Wall Ovens - April 2016
- All About The Wall Oven
- What is the Difference Between Gas vs Electric vs Induction Cooktop/Ranges?
- Agitator or No Agitator
- Chest Freezer vs Upright Freezer
- The Best Dishwashers of April 2016
- Why You Need a Convection Oven
- Dishwashers vs. Hand Washing
- Is Your Air Conditioner Too Noisy?
- Appliances and Voltage
- Top Load Washer vs Front Load Washer
- Scavolini Designs in Our Showroom
- Built-In Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Picks
- Open vs. Sealed Burners
- Certification Marks
- Top Ten Storage Options For Wine Lovers
- Top 5 Appliance Features for a Busy Lifestyle
- Gas vs Dual Fuel Ranges
- Top 5 Cool Refrigerator Features You Should Know About
- Dishwasher Features and Their Importance
- Freestanding vs. Slide-in Ranges
- Brass vs. Aluminum Burners
- Viking - The Heart of the Kitchen
- Dorm Appliance Suggestions
- Remodeling a U-Shaped Kitchen
- Smart Appliances with App Connectivity
- Top 5 Wall Ovens of 2017
- Top Five Double Wall Ovens of 2017
- Top 5 Dishwashers of 2017
- Top Five Column Refrigerators for 2017
- Everything You Need to Know About Energy-Efficient Appliances
- Top 10 French Door Refrigerators of 2017
- The Best Microwave Drawers of 2017
- Top Five 48-Inch Range Ovens of 2017
- All About the Bosch 24-Inch Compact Laundry Pair
- Top 5 Wall Oven Microwave Combos of 2017
- Top Five 30 Inch Slide-In Ranges in 2017
- Which Range Should You Buy? Professional vs. Standard Ranges
- The Best Front Load Washers of 2017
- The Best HE Top Load Washers of 2017
- Furniture Care Series - Leather Furniture
- The Power of Steam - For Cooking, Cleaning, Laundry and Relaxation
- Internal Venting Vs. External Venting
- Washer Guide - Stackable Vs. Side-By-Side
- Top Ten 36-Inch Ranges of 2017
- Compact Appliances
- Anatomy of Appliances - Dishwashers
- The Best Large Capacity Front Load Washers of 2017
- Top 5 Coffee and Espresso Machines for Coffee Lovers
- Large Capacity Ovens
- Wall Ovens & Cooktop Combos - The New Range Replacement?
- The Best Appliance Finishes of 2017
- The Best Outdoor Grills of 2017
- The Best Compact Front-Loading Washers of 2017
- Remodeling an L-Shaped Kitchen
- How to Build a Luxury Kitchen for Less
- The Benefits Of Convection Ovens
- The Best Gas Ranges Under $1000
- Remodeling A Line Kitchen Layout
- A Guide to Specialty Ovens - Steam and Speed Ovens
- Vented Vs. Ventless Range Hoods
- Furniture Care Series Suede
- All About Built-in Dishwashers
- Freestanding Vs. Built-in Kitchen Appliances
- Flipper Kitchen Tips: How to Remodel Your Kitchen for a Profit
- Anatomy of Appliances - Wall Ovens
- Defrost Methods and How They Work
- A Guide to Maritime Appliances
- New Appliances From Thermador - Column Refrigeration
- Top Ten 24-inch Ranges of 2020
- New in 2017 - Superiore Appliances
- Child Safety Features in Appliances
- Smart Self-Diagnosing Appliances
- A Guide to Building An Outdoor Kitchen
- Energy Star Appliances
- La Cornue and Appliances Connection - An Inevitable Pairing
- How to Get a $2,000 Kitchen on a $600 Budget
- BlueStar Fall And Winter Color Preview
- Ashley Furniture - Powered Comfort
- The Top 5 Sub-Zero Refrigerators of 2017
- Appliances Connection and eCommerce - Shaking Industry Foundations
- Anatomy of Appliances - Refrigerators
- Anatomy of Appliances - Ranges
- Liebherr - Just Refrigeration
- Anatomy of Appliances - Washers
- Furniture Care - Wood
- Anatomy of Appliances - Dryers
- Black Friday Sale 2017
- Vented Vs. Ventless Dryers
- 30-Inch Ranges from Thermador and Wolf
- An In-Depth Look Into The GE Monogram Collection
- Stackable Washer and Dryer Sets - Top 5 for 2019
- Fisher Paykel 24 Inch Washer & Dryer Set
- French Door Vs. Side-By-Side Refrigerators
- The Best Way To Preserve Wine
- Furniture Care - Velvet
- Bosch Smart Appliances with Home Connect
- Holiday Gift Guide for Treating Yourself
- A Holiday Gift Guide for Busy Professionals
- A Holiday Gift Guide For Home Chefs
- Introducing BlueStar's New Chef-Inspired Electric Kitchen!
- Holiday Recipes for Microwaves
- Holiday Recipes For Ranges
- Six Best Speed Ovens
- Holiday Gift Guide for Home Entertainers
- Holiday Recipes For Wall Ovens
- Jenn-Air Appliances Guide
- An Eco-Friendly Holiday Gift Guide
- Holiday Gift Guide For New Homeowners
- Holiday Gift Guide for Home-Based Food Businesses
- A Family Friendly Holiday Gift Guide
- Top 5 Napoleon Fireplaces
- ADA Compliance for Public Restrooms
- Home Bar Essentials
- How to Upgrade Your Home on a Budget for 2018
- Custom Color Appliances
- The Best Side By Side Refrigerators of 2019
- Tips for a New You in 2018
- An Honest Review of the Viking VGIC53014BSS Range
- Viking Rebates | Luxury Kitchens for Less
- Induction Vs. Gas Vs. Electric
- The Best Washer and Dryer Sets. Period.
- GE Premium Appliance Finishes
- What's the Best Appliance Finish for your Kitchen in 2019?
- Miele Dishwasher Rebate Offer
- 36 Inch Freestanding Gas Ranges: Bertazzoni vs. Dacor vs. Tecnogas Superiore
- Top 5 Outdoor Undercounter Refrigerator Drawers
- Top 5 Steam Wall Ovens of 2019
- Should I Repair or Replace My Appliances?
- High Efficiency vs. Traditional Washers | Pros & Cons
- Enhancing Home Decor with Indirect LED Lighting
- French Door Refrigerator Comparison | Jenn-Air vs. Sub-Zero
- Quiz | Which Household Appliance Are You?
- The Quietest Dishwashers of 2019
- Laundry Symbols Guide
- Pitfalls of Rent-to-Own Appliances and Furniture
- Top Five 48 Inch Ranges of 2019
- Top 10 French Door Refrigerators 2018
- Top 5 Washers With No Agitator 2018
- The Best 36 Inch Induction Cooktops of 2019
- The Resurgence of Farm Kitchen Sinks
- The Best Kitchen Appliances Packages of 2019
- Top 5 Best GE Dishwashers 2019
- Top 5 Best Counter-Depth Refrigerators 2019
- Top 5 Best Wall Oven Microwave Combos 2018
- Microwave Drawers - Top 5 of 2019
- Top 5 GE Refrigerators 2019
- All About 24 Inch Compact Washers
- Top 10 Dishwashers of 2019
- Top 5 30-Inch Slide-In Ranges of 2018
- How to Stay Cool and Still Save Money
- Top 10 Double Wall Ovens of 2019
- Sharp Microwaves | A Glimpse Of The Future
- Fill Your Home with the Finer Appliances in Life
- Official Guide to Maintaining Your Laundry Room
- 30 Inch Professional Gas Ranges - Top 5 for 2019
- Top Five 48-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2018
- Are Wolf Professional Ranges Worth It?
- Top Five 30-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2018
- When and Why You Need a New Washer Hose?
- Horizontal Kitchens - On the Rise in 2018
- How to Feel Like a Professional Chef At Home
- Dual Fuel Ranges - Wolf Vs GE Monogram
- New for 2018 - Speed Queen's Top Loading Washers and Matching Dryers
- Top Five 36-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2019
- The Five Most Reliable Luxury Front Load Washers for 2019
- Dream Kitchens with Custom Color Panel Ready Refrigerators
- Top Five 60-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2019
- Comparing LG and Samsung Kitchen Appliance Packages
- Power Cords and Hard Wiring for New Cooking Appliances
- Top Five ADA Compliant Ranges for 2019
- Your Definitive Dual Fuel Range Guide for 2018
- Top Five ADA Compliant Refrigerators for 2019
- Top Five ADA Compliant Wall Ovens for 2019
- Review of the Napoleon Prestige PRO Series 77-Inch Grill
- Introducing Miele's New and Improved W1 T1 line of Washers and Dryers
- Whirlpool's Sunset Bronze Finish is On the Horizon
- An In-Depth Look at Viking Dishwashers
- A Look at Friedrich Air Conditioners - Luxury and Toughness in HVAC
- Your Definitive Guide to Luxury ADA Compliant Kitchen Appliances for 2018
- Best Built-In Gas Grills for 2019
- The Toto Neorest 750H Toilet - Indulgence in the Bathroom
- An In-Depth Look at the LG LMXS30776D Refrigerator
- Frigidaire - Celebrating a Century of Reliability
- Whirlpool Gas Cooktops | An In-Depth Look
- Right Arm Facing/Left Arm Facing Sectional Sofas - How to Tell the Difference
- May is Maytag Month at Appliances Connection
- A Look at the Maytag MEW9630FZ 30-Inch Electric Double Wall Oven
- LG PuriCare | Fresh Air In Your Home
- Why You Need the Miele CVA6405 24-Inch Built-In Coffee
- Appliances Connection vs. Discount Appliance Stores
- An In-Depth Look at the New Frigidaire FFBN1721TV 33-Inch French Door Refrigerator
- The Best Undercounter Wine Coolers for 2019
- The Best Luxury Outdoor Furniture Sets of 2018
- The Dacor Modernist Collection - Modern Can Be Timeless
- SMEG Kitchen Appliance Package Overview
- Fulgor Milano Kitchen Appliance Package Overview
- Frymaster Commercial Fryers Overview
- Blodgett Commercial Ovens Overview
- The Top Five Dual Fuel Double Ovens of 2018
- An In-Depth Look at the Miele 888026 Three-Piece Kitchen Appliance Package
- Whirlpool Sunset Bronze - Unique Beauty and Ultimate Dependability
- The Refrigerator Buying Guide for 2019
- Top Five ADA Compliant Cooktops for 2018
- Hestan Smart Induction Cooktops | Pushing the Limits of Innovation
- An In-Depth Look At A Viking Four-Piece Kitchen Appliance Package
- The Range Hood Buying Guide for 2019
Anatomy of Appliances - Refrigerators
In this installment of AppliancesConnection.com's recurring series, Anatomy of Appliances, we will be exploring the inner workings of one of the most convenient and common appliances, the refrigerator! Modern refrigerators have come a long way since the earliest models and rely on intricate mechanisms to keep your food and beverage items cold. Knowing the various components of your fridge can help you keep it running smoothly as well as quickly diagnose any issues you may be experiencing. While the more advanced features can vary from model to model, contemporary refrigerators are generally comprised of similar internal components. Building a comprehensive knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes in the appliances you own can help easily troubleshoot any problems that may arise.
Air Damper (Diffuser) - A valve or plate that controls or redirects the air flow from the freezer to the fridge compartments.
Air Damper Control/Thermostat - Thermostat monitors internal temperatures while the Air Damper Controls regulates airflow for optimal temperatures.
Compressor - Compresses vapor from refrigerant/coolant, raising temperature and pressure resulting in hot, high-pressure gas.
Compressor Run Capacitor - Sends electric current to motor windings to start the compressor motor.
Compressor Start Relay - Starts and stops the compressor under the proper conditions.
Condenser - Grill-like coils located on rear of refrigerator, attached to compressor. Expels unwanted heat by condensing compressed refrigerant/coolant.
Condenser Fan - Forces environmental air through the condenser, aids in heat transfer from coil to outside air.
Defrost Control Board - Monitors and controls the refrigerator and freezer defrost cycle. Melts ice that accumulates around the freezer evaporator.
Defrost Heater - Melts frost from the freezer's evaporator.
Defrost Thermistor - Attached to the evaporator coil and measures temperatures during defrost process.
Defrost Drain Heat Probe - An extension of the defrost heater, it transmits warmth from the heater to the area near the drain tube to prevent freezing.
Defrost Drain Tube - Transfers condensate that collects in the drip tray.
Defrost Sensor - Shuts off the defrost heater if it gets hot enough to cause damage.
Defrost Timer - Controls the intervals between auto-defrost cycles.
Dispenser Core Controls - Activates water and ice dispenser components.
Door Gasket - Flexible sealing on the outer edge of fridge to form an airtight seal.
Drain Pan - Collects condensate water from the defrost cycle.
Electronic Control Board - Controls major components via sensors throughout the refrigerator.
Evaporator - Converts cool liquid refrigerants/coolants into vapor, absorbs heat from air in freezer.
Evaporator Fan - Draws air from refrigerator, blows it over evaporator coils. Coolant absorbs heat from the air and blows it back into fridge at cooler temperature.
Expansion Valve - Controls the amount of refrigerant/coolant released into the evaporator, thus controlling and optimizing cooling air temperatures.
Ice Maker Assembly - Contains ice mold and control device. Plugs into wire harness in freezer or ice compartment. Creates and dispenses ice until storage is determined to be full via sensors.
Light Switch - Turns the fridge light on or off by monitoring door position.
Refrigerator Door - Covers the front of the refrigerator interior. Contains shelves for storage.
Temperature Control Board - A circuit board that controls major functions of compressors and fans.
Water Filter - Removes sediment and other impurities from water.
Water Inlet Valve - Controls water flow into the refrigerator.
Water Supply Tube - Carries water from a source to the refrigerator.
Wiring Harness - Collection of wires that connect the various components of the fridge.
There are a wide variety of refrigerator models on the market today who share the same common components listed above. However, each brand strives to take the basic components of a fridge and design their own advanced iterations. In the section below, we will highlight a few models from some of the popular brands and their impressive takes on modern refrigerator technology!
Samsung - RF28M958SG - Samsung's latest 36 inch French door refrigerator lives on the cutting edge of modern fridge technology. This model features a touch screen family hub to make all of your kitchen activities a little easier. Additionally, this model features Samsung's state-of-the-art Ice Master ice maker which produces up to 10 lbs. of ice per day. With convenience in mind, Samsung designed this ice maker to output an elite amount of ice while the space-saving design leaves more functional space within the refrigerator!
Electrolux - EI23BC32SS - Electrolux makes it mark with this 36 inch built-in French door refrigerator. You'll find the IQ-Touch controls to be the pinnacle of convenience as you choose optimal temperature settings on the touch panel. This brightly lit refrigerator offers unmatched storage and shelving as there are limitless configurations to choose from. Also included is Electrolux's signature PureAdvantage filtration system. This filtration system keeps clean, filtered air circulating throughout your fridge, ensuring no unwanted odors transfer between food items.
Viking - FDBB5363EL - Viking has long been known for its well-crafted, high-quality kitchen appliances and this 36 inch counter depth refrigerator from the 5 Series upholds that gold standard. This model provides ample storage space with a total 20.4 cu. ft. in the refrigerator and freezer compartments. Viking's patented ProChill Temperature Management System provides precise temperature control with electronic controls. The system is equipped with a variable speed DC Overdrive compressor which ensures accurate, steady temperature settings while also being the quietest compressor available!
Thermador - T30IB900SP - Thermador holds nothing back with its latest Freedom Series 30 inch counter-depth, bottom-freezer refrigerator. This refrigerator sets the standard for energy efficiency with the new Cool Air Flow technology. This modern fan system optimizes and evenly distributes cold air throughout every inch of the fridge. You'll also find the Auto Door Opening technology to be another example of user-friendly convenience. This technology allows you to customize your personal touch for opening and closing the fridge door and eliminates the need for traditional door handles!