- Best Ideas for Outdoor Patio Space
- New Samsung AddWash 27inch Front Load Washer
- Washer and Dryer Combo Appliances
- Alternative Design by ACME Furniture
- Grilling - Cast Iron Grates Versus Stainless Steel Grates
- The 7 Questions you MUST Ask When Purchasing a Dishwasher
- Best Wall Ovens - April 2016
- All About The Wall Oven
- What is the Difference Between Gas vs Electric vs Induction Cooktop/Ranges?
- Agitator or No Agitator
- Chest Freezer vs Upright Freezer
- The Best Dishwashers of April 2016
- Why You Need a Convection Oven
- Dishwashers vs. Hand Washing
- Is Your Air Conditioner Too Noisy?
- Appliances and Voltage
- Top Load Washer vs Front Load Washer
- Scavolini Designs in Our Showroom
- Built-In Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator Picks
- Open vs. Sealed Burners
- Certification Marks
- Top Ten Storage Options For Wine Lovers
- Top 5 Appliance Features for a Busy Lifestyle
- Gas vs Dual Fuel Ranges
- Top 5 Cool Refrigerator Features You Should Know About
- Dishwasher Features and Their Importance
- Freestanding vs. Slide-in Ranges
- Brass vs. Aluminum Burners
- Viking - The Heart of the Kitchen
- Dorm Appliance Suggestions
- Remodeling a U-Shaped Kitchen
- Smart Appliances with App Connectivity
- Top 5 Wall Ovens of 2017
- Top Five Double Wall Ovens of 2017
- Top 5 Dishwashers of 2017
- Top Five Column Refrigerators for 2017
- Everything You Need to Know About Energy-Efficient Appliances
- Top 10 French Door Refrigerators of 2017
- The Best Microwave Drawers of 2017
- Top Five 48-Inch Range Ovens of 2017
- All About the Bosch 24-Inch Compact Laundry Pair
- Top 5 Wall Oven Microwave Combos of 2017
- Top Five 30 Inch Slide-In Ranges in 2017
- Which Range Should You Buy? Professional vs. Standard Ranges
- The Best Front Load Washers of 2017
- The Best HE Top Load Washers of 2017
- Furniture Care Series - Leather Furniture
- The Power of Steam - For Cooking, Cleaning, Laundry and Relaxation
- Internal Venting Vs. External Venting
- Washer Guide - Stackable Vs. Side-By-Side
- Top Ten 36-Inch Ranges of 2017
- Compact Appliances
- Anatomy of Appliances - Dishwashers
- The Best Large Capacity Front Load Washers of 2017
- Top 5 Coffee and Espresso Machines for Coffee Lovers
- Large Capacity Ovens
- Wall Ovens & Cooktop Combos - The New Range Replacement?
- The Best Appliance Finishes of 2017
- The Best Outdoor Grills of 2017
- The Best Compact Front-Loading Washers of 2017
- Remodeling an L-Shaped Kitchen
- How to Build a Luxury Kitchen for Less
- The Benefits Of Convection Ovens
- The Best Gas Ranges Under $1000
- Remodeling A Line Kitchen Layout
- A Guide to Specialty Ovens - Steam and Speed Ovens
- Vented Vs. Ventless Range Hoods
- Furniture Care Series Suede
- All About Built-in Dishwashers
- Freestanding Vs. Built-in Kitchen Appliances
- Flipper Kitchen Tips: How to Remodel Your Kitchen for a Profit
- Anatomy of Appliances - Wall Ovens
- Defrost Methods and How They Work
- A Guide to Maritime Appliances
- New Appliances From Thermador - Column Refrigeration
- Top Ten 24-inch Ranges of 2020
- New in 2017 - Superiore Appliances
- Child Safety Features in Appliances
- Smart Self-Diagnosing Appliances
- A Guide to Building An Outdoor Kitchen
- Energy Star Appliances
- La Cornue and Appliances Connection - An Inevitable Pairing
- How to Get a $2,000 Kitchen on a $600 Budget
- BlueStar Fall And Winter Color Preview
- Ashley Furniture - Powered Comfort
- The Top 5 Sub-Zero Refrigerators of 2017
- Appliances Connection and eCommerce - Shaking Industry Foundations
- Anatomy of Appliances - Refrigerators
- Anatomy of Appliances - Ranges
- Liebherr - Just Refrigeration
- Anatomy of Appliances - Washers
- Furniture Care - Wood
- Anatomy of Appliances - Dryers
- Black Friday Sale 2017
- Vented Vs. Ventless Dryers
- 30-Inch Ranges from Thermador and Wolf
- An In-Depth Look Into The GE Monogram Collection
- Stackable Washer and Dryer Sets - Top 5 for 2019
- Fisher Paykel 24 Inch Washer & Dryer Set
- French Door Vs. Side-By-Side Refrigerators
- The Best Way To Preserve Wine
- Furniture Care - Velvet
- Bosch Smart Appliances with Home Connect
- Holiday Gift Guide for Treating Yourself
- A Holiday Gift Guide for Busy Professionals
- A Holiday Gift Guide For Home Chefs
- Introducing BlueStar's New Chef-Inspired Electric Kitchen!
- Holiday Recipes for Microwaves
- Holiday Recipes For Ranges
- Six Best Speed Ovens
- Holiday Gift Guide for Home Entertainers
- Holiday Recipes For Wall Ovens
- Jenn-Air Appliances Guide
- An Eco-Friendly Holiday Gift Guide
- Holiday Gift Guide For New Homeowners
- Holiday Gift Guide for Home-Based Food Businesses
- A Family Friendly Holiday Gift Guide
- Top 5 Napoleon Fireplaces
- ADA Compliance for Public Restrooms
- Home Bar Essentials
- How to Upgrade Your Home on a Budget for 2018
- Custom Color Appliances
- The Best Side By Side Refrigerators of 2019
- Tips for a New You in 2018
- An Honest Review of the Viking VGIC53014BSS Range
- Viking Rebates | Luxury Kitchens for Less
- Induction Vs. Gas Vs. Electric
- The Best Washer and Dryer Sets. Period.
- GE Premium Appliance Finishes
- What's the Best Appliance Finish for your Kitchen in 2019?
- Miele Dishwasher Rebate Offer
- 36 Inch Freestanding Gas Ranges: Bertazzoni vs. Dacor vs. Tecnogas Superiore
- Top 5 Outdoor Undercounter Refrigerator Drawers
- Top 5 Steam Wall Ovens of 2019
- Should I Repair or Replace My Appliances?
- High Efficiency vs. Traditional Washers | Pros & Cons
- Enhancing Home Decor with Indirect LED Lighting
- French Door Refrigerator Comparison | Jenn-Air vs. Sub-Zero
- Quiz | Which Household Appliance Are You?
- The Quietest Dishwashers of 2019
- Laundry Symbols Guide
- Pitfalls of Rent-to-Own Appliances and Furniture
- Top Five 48 Inch Ranges of 2019
- Top 10 French Door Refrigerators 2018
- Top 5 Washers With No Agitator 2018
- The Best 36 Inch Induction Cooktops of 2019
- The Resurgence of Farm Kitchen Sinks
- The Best Kitchen Appliances Packages of 2019
- Top 5 Best GE Dishwashers 2019
- Top 5 Best Counter-Depth Refrigerators 2019
- Top 5 Best Wall Oven Microwave Combos 2018
- Microwave Drawers - Top 5 of 2019
- Top 5 GE Refrigerators 2019
- All About 24 Inch Compact Washers
- Top 10 Dishwashers of 2019
- Top 5 30-Inch Slide-In Ranges of 2018
- How to Stay Cool and Still Save Money
- Top 10 Double Wall Ovens of 2019
- Sharp Microwaves | A Glimpse Of The Future
- Fill Your Home with the Finer Appliances in Life
- Official Guide to Maintaining Your Laundry Room
- 30 Inch Professional Gas Ranges - Top 5 for 2019
- Top Five 48-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2018
- Are Wolf Professional Ranges Worth It?
- Top Five 30-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2018
- When and Why You Need a New Washer Hose?
- Horizontal Kitchens - On the Rise in 2018
- How to Feel Like a Professional Chef At Home
- Dual Fuel Ranges - Wolf Vs GE Monogram
- New for 2018 - Speed Queen's Top Loading Washers and Matching Dryers
- Top Five 36-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2019
- The Five Most Reliable Luxury Front Load Washers for 2019
- Dream Kitchens with Custom Color Panel Ready Refrigerators
- Top Five 60-Inch Dual Fuel Ranges of 2019
- Comparing LG and Samsung Kitchen Appliance Packages
- Power Cords and Hard Wiring for New Cooking Appliances
- Top Five ADA Compliant Ranges for 2019
- Your Definitive Dual Fuel Range Guide for 2018
- Top Five ADA Compliant Refrigerators for 2019
- Top Five ADA Compliant Wall Ovens for 2019
- Review of the Napoleon Prestige PRO Series 77-Inch Grill
- Introducing Miele's New and Improved W1 T1 line of Washers and Dryers
- Whirlpool's Sunset Bronze Finish is On the Horizon
- An In-Depth Look at Viking Dishwashers
- A Look at Friedrich Air Conditioners - Luxury and Toughness in HVAC
- Your Definitive Guide to Luxury ADA Compliant Kitchen Appliances for 2018
- Best Built-In Gas Grills for 2019
- The Toto Neorest 750H Toilet - Indulgence in the Bathroom
- An In-Depth Look at the LG LMXS30776D Refrigerator
- Frigidaire - Celebrating a Century of Reliability
- Whirlpool Gas Cooktops | An In-Depth Look
- Right Arm Facing/Left Arm Facing Sectional Sofas - How to Tell the Difference
- May is Maytag Month at Appliances Connection
- A Look at the Maytag MEW9630FZ 30-Inch Electric Double Wall Oven
- LG PuriCare | Fresh Air In Your Home
- Why You Need the Miele CVA6405 24-Inch Built-In Coffee
- Appliances Connection vs. Discount Appliance Stores
- An In-Depth Look at the New Frigidaire FFBN1721TV 33-Inch French Door Refrigerator
- The Best Undercounter Wine Coolers for 2019
- The Best Luxury Outdoor Furniture Sets of 2018
- The Dacor Modernist Collection - Modern Can Be Timeless
- SMEG Kitchen Appliance Package Overview
- Fulgor Milano Kitchen Appliance Package Overview
- Frymaster Commercial Fryers Overview
- Blodgett Commercial Ovens Overview
- The Top Five Dual Fuel Double Ovens of 2018
- An In-Depth Look at the Miele 888026 Three-Piece Kitchen Appliance Package
- Whirlpool Sunset Bronze - Unique Beauty and Ultimate Dependability
- The Refrigerator Buying Guide for 2019
- Top Five ADA Compliant Cooktops for 2018
- Hestan Smart Induction Cooktops | Pushing the Limits of Innovation
- An In-Depth Look At A Viking Four-Piece Kitchen Appliance Package
- The Range Hood Buying Guide for 2019
Anatomy of Appliances - Ranges
In the latest chapter of Anatomy of Appliances, a recurring series on Appliances Connection, we will be taking a deep dive in to the components of modern range ovens. Ranges are the cornerstone of any contemporary kitchen, so it is important to have a working understanding of with what they are comprised. Having an in-depth knowledge of the inner workings of your major appliances is especially handy in the event of a malfunction. Being able to identify and troubleshoot any issues that arise will help you make an informed decision on whether major repairs or replacement is necessary. This information is also helpful at getting the very best performance out of each of your appliances. Below, we will highlight the important components of ranges and identify some stand-out models. Be sure to check out the other Anatomy of Appliances entries which can all be found on the Learning Center, only at AppliancesConnection.com!
Bake Element - Provides heat for baking and cooking and is located at the bottom of the oven.
Broiler Element - Provides heat for broiling and is located in the top of the oven (or in the broiler drawer).
Ceramic Glass Cooktop - Flat, smooth cooking surface with radian elements underneath that provide heat.
Coil Surface Element - One type of cooking element, it is located on the cooktop and provides heat for cooking. Controlled by surface burner switch.
Control Panel - Contains the control keypads, temperature displays and other controls/displays. Multiple switches and electronic controls are attached.
Convection Fan - In select models, convection fans blow hot air throughout the oven interior creating an even cooking/baking atmosphere.
Door Light Switch - Controls the internal lighting functions.
Electronic Oven Control Board - Controls the timing and various functions of the oven. Attached to the control panel and displays.
Burner Grates - Suspends pots and pans over heating elements and preserves cookware from open flames.
Limiter - A switch on radiant elements that shuts off the elements to prevent overheating.
Oven Door Glass Panel - Heat-resistant glass located on the oven door. Allows for viewing of oven interior.
Oven Control Thermostat - Located on the control panel, this controls and maintains the desired oven temperatures.
Oven Door Hinge - Controls the speed at which the door opens and closes. Also allows the door to stay open at an angle.
Oven Door Lock - A safety mechanism that prevents injuries by latching the door shut during cooking and self-cleaning.
Oven Igniter - Primarily found in gas ovens, the igniter is a glow bar that ignites the gas for the oven burners. When the igniter is hot enough, the gas safety valves open to allow for ignition.
Oven Temperature Sensor Probe - Temperature is detected by the sensor and communicated to control board. Located in the back of the oven cavity.
Radiant Surface Element - Provides heat for cooking and is located on the cooktop. It is controlled by the surface burner switches.
Power Cord - Provides power to oven and is located in the back of the oven.
Relay Control Board - Switch that controls voltage going to baking or surface elements based on signals from the control boards.
Solid Surface Disc element - Solid metal surface element that provides heat directly to cookware on the cooktop. Ribbon heating coils underneath transmit heat to the surface element.
Spark Igniter Electrode - An insulated electrode that sends a spark to the burner head when voltage is provided. Makes a "ticking" sound when you switch on the burner controls to the on position.
Spark Module - Receives signals from burner switches. Provides voltage to the burner igniter electrodes and lights the surface gas burners.
Surface Element Receptacle - Heavy-duty wire receptacle for outlet cord connection. Located under the cooktop, it provides electricity to the coil surface element to which it is connected.
Surface Element Switch - Controls power to associated surface elements and is located on the control panel.
Terminal Block - An electrical connection point for power cord wires and incoming electrical power.
Thermal Fuse - Limits oven power and heat to prevent overheating.
Beyond the common, basic components of most range ovens are the more technologically advanced iterations of these same components. Your favorite brands all have different takes on what's most important in an oven. Deciding which features and designs are most important to you is a vital step in choosing your next range. Below we will identify and highlight a few range models, all available on AppliancesConnection.com, that have taken some of these components to the next level.
Bosch Benchmark - HDIP054U - Bosch's Benchmark series is comprised of high-quality appliances in every major category and focuses on bringing professional aesthetics and capabilities into the home kitchen. Their flagship 30 inch slide-in range comes with all the bells and whistles including powerful convection technology and full-extension telescopic racks. Another great addition is the QuietClose door technology with dampened hinges which allows you to quietly close the door. This cutting edge technology ensures you won't slam the oven door ever again!
Frigidaire - FGEF3058RF - Frigidaire's Gallery series prides itself on providing high-quality, high-efficiency appliances in all of the major categories. This model features powerful and effortless convection for even, thoroughly cooked results every time. The cooktop employs SpaceWise expandable elements which open up the cooktop cooking possibilities tenfold. Finally, the Effortless Temperature Probe with Auto Keep Warm allows you to set your desired temperature and will alert you when it is reached. The oven holds that temperature before switching to the "keep warm" settings for optimal results!
Dacor - DYRP48DSNGH - Dacor has long been on the cutting edge of cooking technology and their latest 48 inch slide-in range continues to push the envelope. This dual fuel range is equipped with endlessly convenient features including advanced SimmerSear burners capable of perfect high-heat searing and ultra-low temperatures for simmering and melting. You'll also find the state-of-the-art TiltVue Panel which offers precise and clear control over all cooking functions. This panel tilts out at an angle for a convenient view of the oven features.
Miele - HR1934DF - Miele has a reputation for high-quality appliances and this 36 inch freestanding range maintains that standard. Enjoy the easy to use automatic MasterChef programs that are pre-programmed with 100s of cooking functions to handle all your favorite recipes! Additionally, this model is equipped with TwinPower convection fans that provide rapid preheating, optimal hot air distribution, and fantastic cooking/baking results every time!