- Fabric upholstery is a cloth-based textile that is very commonly found on chairs and other furniture. This upholstery also tend to be the least expensive.
- Leather upholstery is treated cow or horse hide, and is widely used for its durability and luxurious look.
- Bonded Leather is a term used to describe a material composed of both real leather and synthetic materials. It gives the appearance of real leather while costing considerably less.
- Faux Leather is an artificial type of leather that is designed to mimic the look and feel of genuine leather all at significantly reduced prices. These products contain no actual animal hide and are entirely synthetic, making them vegan-friendly.
- Microfiber upholstery is made of millions of tiny fibers that are woven together to give a very soft texture to the furniture. These fibers can be made of varying substances but are often some form of polyester or polyamide.
- Vinyl upholstered furniture has superior durability and abrasion resistance. Vinyl is made from polyvinyl chloride or some other related polymer. Vinyl tends to have a soft texture.